Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Distributor questions

1K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  hounut 
#1 · (Edited)
I've got a couple questions about my distributor. First the transmitter section doesn't seem to line up terribly well. On one side the rotating finger contacts the stationary one and on the other side there's a .030 ish gap between them. I'm inclined to think the gap should be even all around, but then I don't understand why there are eight of both contacts. I expect there to eight of one and 1 of the other.

Then there's the insulating block on the side of the distributor. It distingrated when I touched it. Has anyone replaced this, and with what?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Any play in the distributor shaft?

And the infamous green wire has failed you. You'll have to look for another. Last I heard....most part numbers for that were NLA....but used ones could be had.

#5 ·
Looks to me like you could just splice a shielding piece of wire from connector
to connector. What am I missing?

#7 ·
"Looks to me like you could just splice a shielding piece of wire from connector
to connector."
Sorry, I didn't understand that, cwmoser. The wires were encased in a block of some material, I don't know what, but it just crumbled when I touched it. The wires are obviously very fragile and are in need of some support, I'm guessing that's what the block of material was for. It looks like I just have to come up with some means of replacing the block.

I got the contacts all spaced evenly, I sure hope they were supposed to be, Nobby.

#10 · (Edited)
Yes dear!! (rowdy not Reno4u2)
Well it looks like nobody has fixed one of these, so I guess I'm on my own. I'm thinking I'll go with PC7. I've made parts with it before. I'll have to make a form. I sure hope those contacts were supposed to be evenly spaced, it was running pretty nicely when I put it in the garage.

#12 ·
No, I did not know that, unless you mean that the connection inside the distributor is removable. I did know that. Once the insulation block crumbles away it can easily be seen. Did you mean that the insulation block was removable from the wire. There's no way I would know that. It just crumbled away.

Mike

#16 · (Edited)
I decided that PC7 would not be flexible enough. That looks like a rubber like material in the pic. After smacking myself in the forehead and calling myself a dumbass several times, I went ahead and used the obvious material for the job - RTV Silicone. Let me see, I need something flexible, heat resistant, and chemical resistant, duh!
I made the form on the distributor using cardstock. As far as I can tell, it is very similar to the original look, except it will be grey, couldn't find the black, I know I have some around here somewhere. Oh well, it'll get black soon enough.

I still haven't seen anyone opine on whether the contacts should all be evenly spaced.

Mike

i decide t

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.