Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Fuel pump

2K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  Ruindr 
#1 ·
What "quiet" fuel pumps and filter would you guys recomend for an 86 560SL?

#2 ·
Factory replacements for both. Noisy pumps are on a path of self-destruction. Experience is a bitter teacher. ;)

I tried a K&N replacement filter, but ended up going back to the stock paper element filters. No appreciable increase in airflow, plus the cleaning routine for the K&N got a little tedious.

#8 ·
Forgive me for butting into the discussion. . . .

I can hear my fuel pump loud and clear in the driver seat of my recently acquired 83 380SL with the doors shut and the windows up. Is this a sign that my fuel pump might give out soon?

I kind of thought it was bit loud.

Walt

#9 ·
I had the same loud sound on mine and got a new pump/filter/accumulator this fall. On previous discussions here I have read both, some has lived with a noisy pump for years, others have argued that it should be changed. I guess it's a matter of risk taking. I'm the risk adverse type...

A noise pump could mean a clogged line or filter, making the pump work harder than necessary. Maybe a cheaper way to follow is to change the filter first and clean the fuel strainer, and see if that does something to the sound at all. New OEM pump is quite expensive, but on the other hand changing all at once if of course a time saver.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.