Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Parts Search 72 350SL

18K views 229 replies 16 participants last post by  Rachel350SL 
#1 ·
After spending 17 years at the body shop, my car is back but in serious trouble at the mechanic. I've seen another 350SL he restored so that's comforting.

I had every original thing for my car, and now scavenging :frown

Oh well. So here's what may be the toughest, and maybe because I don't have the correct name or part number. The chrome receptacles for the hard top/rag top wrenches (also missing, as well as their nice black sleeve) that sit on top of the hard top pins on either side of the car.

I don't know if that's easily understood, so I will try to spell it out. When fastening the hard top, there's the two wrench points on top of the windshield, the pin that goes in to the hole behind the second trunk (where the rag top is stored) and on either side, one above where the defroster plugs in. It's those last two that have a small chrome piece that fits over the nut with a slot in it to accept the wrench to let it release or screw down.

I'd have better luck if any of the manuals had survived, at least the right names, but they're all gone, I even had the radio manual and original case for all. Pics are from 1996 (and I know the exhaust tips are wrong)

Any help appreciated, heres the rest of what I know I need to find:

Chrome hardtop wrench receptacles (the little slots that fit over the nut)
2 Original chrome hardtop wrenches
Case for 2 original hardtop wrenches

Original tool kit (green cloth case)
Second tool kit (brown cloth case)

Original Manual for car, Original Manual for radio and original Case for both (brown plastic, clear plastic)

HVAC direction plastic bit that goes on the louver switch

I forgot to check if the original jack was still in the car.

I think I found these, on order:
1 Glove box light/flashlights, brand new
Glove box light/flashlight receptacle (found pn on this site, thank you!)

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
I'm one step behind you Rowdie, or maybe two.. just replied on the other thread and you can see my profile updated...

So where could I get the caps for the hardtop side locks- for any year? Any chance to find my year?

And I only know that my car's release handles were silver. They looked almost like these:
Mercedes-Benz SL R107 / W113 Soft Top & Hard Top Roof Release Handles Mercedes-Benz SL 107 1971 1972 1973 1974 1975 1976 1977 1978 1979 1980 1981 1982 1983 1984 1985 1986 1987 1988 1989 280 300 350 380 420 450 500 560 R107 C107 W107

And those are not horrible, but mine were just ellipses, and fit into the black case side by side like pens.
I could even leave them in place if I wanted to while driving.

The wrenches are not such a problem, even a screwdriver could work, but the caps we need.

Thanks again for help!

#6 ·
I'm all about the details, and I probably would have known that 17 years ago when I dropped the car off, up until about 10 years ago when there was too much life data that forced me to free up available space in my brain that used to know everything about the Mercedes.

I am kind of the "Rowdie" of the car I currently drive, I run an email list with ~500 members, have a web site for my car with nearly 200K hits and I haven't updated it since 2006. I have written for Road & Track, Roundel, BMW Magazine etc... there was a time I could look at a pic of someone's engine and tell you whose car it was... but I digress.

I'm back to the Benz, and have to start all over again.

#9 ·
I am kind of the "Rowdie" of the car I currently drive, I run an email list with ~500 members, have a web site for my car with nearly 200K hits and I haven't updated it since 2006. I have written for Road & Track, Roundel, BMW Magazine etc... there was a time I could look at a pic of someone's engine and tell you whose car it was... but I digress.

I'm back to the Benz, and have to start all over again.

All those words and nary a link to be found.....

:D

#7 · (Edited)
I'm on the south side of Philadelphia if you want to take a ride down here. I have an SL you can look at to show me what you need. I can show you what I've got. Of the list above, I think I have all that stuff (other than the pouches). It just might not be in the best condition.

I will send you a private message.

#12 ·
I once was lost but now am found...

I probably don't qualify as a gearhead:notworthy: but I do so foolishly adore this car, OK these carS. I had a tendency to tell stories on the old boards but that was encouraged :)

You folks have lifted my spirits, so happy I found you!:bowdown: And wow, now I am having so much fun... funny, the SL people haven't changed. Just had a great yak with George at authenticclassics. He helped me find a lot of parts and even told me what other sites to check for stuff he doesn't have. There is something about these cars. It attracts a certain kind of person, which is the same thing I can say for my other car. I find that interesting.

I visited my car and between Fonzi and George I think my car will be in good shape! :dance:

Updated list:

Glove box light/flashlights, brand new replacement - George just got some in, I bought two, and they're on sale- but the link is gone, I don't know whats up with that, their stock number 3049, they also have the batteries and the bulbs
Glove box light/flashlight receptacle - Fonzi :) (the one I posted before wasn't really available)

Hardtop wrench receptacles (the little slots that fit over the nut, see pics)- Fonzi (I hope, and if Fonzi doesn't have it George will look for me. If I get them then we'll see what shape the rag top is in, it was brand new when I left it, but my hunch is its in tatters by now... )

2 Original shiny metal hardtop wrenches- George has them! They are freaking expensive but they are exactly as I remember. Hooray!

Case for 2 original hardtop wrenches- George has them! Crazy expensive for the originals, Out of stock for the black MB Tek but they make nice leather ones.

Original tool kit (green cloth case)
Second tool kit (brown cloth case)
-Well its not green or brown but should be a full tool kit suitable for my car, George had 1, and now it's mine.

Original Manual for car, Original Manual for radio and original Case for both (brown plastic, clear plastic)
-->FOUND! :D

HVAC direction plastic bit that goes on the louver switch
-->Fonzi or dealer

ADD to list-
The gearshift plate, I have the original but it was always a bit chewed up, I would be pleased to find one in better shape. Fonzi may have, if he doesn't then George will look for it.

Jack is still in the car :)
Torn interior by the left missing socket :(

Thanks all for help!

Attachments

#16 ·
It's a long sad story I will try to abbreviate
My step mom has a 280SL and gave that to my sister to get the 350SL which she gave to me to get something else.
I took great care of the car, replacing the console when it cracked, replacing brake pads a lot, replacing the soft top a couple times, many adventures including being buried in the New England snow storm of 1978, (there's a picture out there somewhere of me sitting on the trunk of the car in a snow grave drinking a Billy Beer).

1992 I drove it cross country with a friend from newly released East Berlin and video taped our adventure on Hi8, then sold as one of the first road trip reality shows at the NAPTE convention. Then in 1996 I drove it to the South with my cameraman (from Road Rules later). We went to Selma, we went to Whitewater (didja know that Bill and Hillary were driving an SL when they infamously went to Whitewater?) The intention was to produce the episodes for our TV show but my editor and I had a falling out. I still have 36 hours of BetaSP footage, but that's another story.

Gordon Beck- jeez, I finally remembered that name, been dogging me all day, I gave the car to Gordon to fix some mechanical issues as a treat for the car when we got back in 1996, but he kept it for 3 years and left it outside. When I got it back it had a bee's nest in the driver's side mirror. You could feel the rust bubbles under the door sill. I took it to Karosserie, and pursuaded Dick Von Medicus to fix the rust. There's a story there I don't have time to write right now, but I will later if you ask. Anyway, I left the car with Dick in 1999.

He kept coming up with huge bills to pay saying that it was almost done, almost done, almost done... and what could I do? I was living in Manhattan by then, didn't need a car, 9/11 happened, my condo was detroyed by a fire in 2003, I had a son in 2008, cancer in 2009, and I had no leverage to get the car back. Always another huge bill. I visited once and found the car in the tall grass, the mice had made a home in the trunk.

Sometimes I'd get a pic of the car, I will post some pics in a moment.

I always had to pay for insurance, not storage.

Then Dick became ill and sold the business, and I think that's how I finally got the car back, because as you say, the new owners wanted the space in their shop back.

Attachments

#15 ·
You might want to post one more time so Rowdie can move this to the 107 FS WTB subforum where I think this thread belongs. You can have a thread there until you have 10 posts though. So...

It looks like my chrome shifter gate is actually quite nice. That's a damn shame because I really don't want to sell it. But everybody has their price, don't they?

Here's a picture of the items I was about to find related to your search.

Metal

#20 · (Edited)
I can't tell either. Great pic, thanks. Looks like the two pieces furthest right are missing, the chrome plate and the slot, definitely the slot. The slots were always loose. Not the chrome plate.

Any chance you have a part number(s) for the side latch(assembly)?

Looks like Fonzi has one chrome plate and 3 slot pieces? I definitely need the glovebox light receptacle Fonzi, please? You're right, I'll keep the original gearshift surround. I also found another gearshift surround in the box of odd parts left in the car, not sure its for this model though. I'll get a pic.

Trying to see the pics side by side:

Looking at them side by side it does look like they put the roof on top of the chrome plate, doesn't it?

#19 ·
Fonzi. It is kind of borderline right now. I don't want to move it yet. Still in the research stage kind of.
BTW the side latch caps you showed are wrong for a '72. '72 has a two piece cap. Actually a chrome center and black outer ring. The pic I linked just shows the chrome without the black outer ring.

#21 ·
BTW the side latch caps you showed are wrong for a '72. '72 has a two piece cap. Actually a chrome center and black outer ring. The pic I linked just shows the chrome without the black outer ring.

Interesting. I think I sent off to France with "sugar" the only 1972 top I had (from my 1972 350 4.5 part out). I don't recall what the top nuts looked like.

The hardtop parts I show in the picture are primarily from BrownHilda's 1979 280sl rotted out top, plus one extra cap probably from a 1978 450sl I think. (The front screws are actually from brownhilda's soft top frame.) I wasn't able to get one of the chrome plates off, so I just chopped off that section of the top with the vinyl still attached. I inserted a bolt to try and remove the plate but finally gave up, figuring it's not that hard to store that extra but of sheet metal. I didn't even need it for myself after all.

Does anyone have a picture of the 1972 hard top latch caps?

#24 ·
Finally fired up the ol' PC, I am not good at PC... and note a lot of difference between the BMW parts catalog online and the Mercedes, but that's not going to be very interesting... so here's what I hope might be interesting...
I remember after my car came out there was a period of time when they were handing out silver "4"s we could use to replace the "3"s in our 350SLs, something about them being the same car and a misnomer maybe about the engine size? Mercedes numbering structure? Anyway, I didn't take a 4.
I skimmed the tedious Get Started so I missed the part about WBC, I hope that was right to leave it selected.
Please let me know?
So it starts with the EPC telling me I have a 450SL according to my VIN, even though I know I have a 350SL. My VIN is 107044.

OK, I proceeded according to VIN. Found the right diagram, it looks a lot like Rowdie's pic, but not enough detail to distinguish which type of fastener cap (item 62). Well that's a bummer. :banghead:
Everything up to the cap is item 59, an assembly part I guess, and there's a change after VIN 107 044 030412, mine happens to be 107 044 1200** so I guess I am item 59/ 107 790 07 71. Happily 107 790 07 71 seems to be interchangeable L to R. But no description or picture of what may have changed, adding to the confusion. Note that not every bit of what is in the EPC diagram is in Rowdie's pic.

mmmmK? So just to double check, I tried 107043 and got the same diagram but when I clicked on 59 and 62 I got "Item no not valid for this model des.":poopbanana:

Meanwhile, Fonzi sent me like 20 links to ebay items of these latches ("fasteners" according to EPC fyi). I know for sure there was nothing black on the caps, I remember holding them in the palm of my hand, thought they were chrome. OK, I am old and my memory stinkaroos, so maybe I am wrong, but I really think they were only shiny metal.

I am remarkably fortunate that Fonzi happened to have these, as well as the light socket. I looked up the light socket on both 107043 and 107044 and it was the same p/n. Also was a note of all the other models that have that light socket, which I thought was interesting. Seems like there was a socket like this on a lot of previous models?

Attachments

#125 ·
Finally fired up the ol' PC, I am not good at PC... and note a lot of difference between the BMW parts catalog online and the Mercedes, but that's not going to be very interesting... so here's what I hope might be interesting...
I remember after my car came out there was a period of time when they were handing out silver "4"s we could use to replace the "3"s in our 350SLs, something about them being the same car and a misnomer maybe about the engine size? Mercedes numbering structure? Anyway, I didn't take a 4.
I skimmed the tedious Get Started so I missed the part about WBC, I hope that was right to leave it selected.
Please let me know?
So it starts with the EPC telling me I have a 450SL according to my VIN, even though I know I have a 350SL. My VIN is 107044.
Wow has it already been 6 months? I have to remember how to use that EPC, but I am checking in hoping y'all can tell me if I am heading in the right direction to find these parts my mechanic cannot source:

Heater Shut off Valve
Wiper Motor

and information about the tumblers in the door locks. The keys turn the lock in the trunk but not in the doors. It seems that they switched out the tumblers in the doors. Is there another possible cause? We're trying to figure out how to sort this out, may need a locksmith? New locks? Then no way to use the original key or original type key, but that's not so tragic. (Annoying, but not tragic)

How best to hunt these down, and how to reach the classic parts division at Mercedes?

TIA

#40 ·
Your wish is my command... and it takes like nothing to get me (or most Z3 ///MZ3 owners) to post pics of our cars...

So I go to the BMW dealer and try to buy a silver Z3 that's in the showroom but they say its promised to someone, and I can't figure that out, like why don't they take their car? And they bring out this green demo model with 400 miles on it and I figure it will do until the 350SL comes out of the shop. Little did I know that would be another 17 years, but I digress.
I take it for a test drive and say to the salesman as he gets in the passenger seat "It's been a while since I drove a stick, wonder if I remember how." The car is a witch. Within nanoseconds I was having a blast driving this little car and the salesman is stomping on the passenger brake and holding on to the door grip for dear life screaming "I THOUGHT YOU SAID YOU COULDN'T DRIVE A STICK!?!" Silly man, I didn't say I couldn't drive a stick, just that it had been a long time.
So that was love at first drive. We call it GrinfluenZa. When you have a smile on your face so wide the corners of your mouth are in your ears. I drove it home a couple days later (they wouldn't let me take it home same day, we spent the evening thinking of things you can't do in a Z3, like buy groceries for more than one day, or put your jacket behind the seat). It's a hairdryer, a lunch box, a toy. I beat the crap out of it, taught my niece how to drive a stick in it. I got wonderfully lost in my home town driving roads I had driven since I was 16 in that car. She's amazing.

When she breaks down I can put her in my pocket or in the copious trunk of the SL. :wink
OK, not really.

She went from being the "pea soup mobile" to Esmerelda the Emerald Car, and we set off on many adventures. She's kind of famous, for a while there you'd see BMW items listed on eBay in "Esmerelda Green", the correct color name is "Boston Green". She has her own web page with nearly 200K hits, and I haven't updated it in 10 years.

Without further ado, Esmerelda, with my son this morning, and a few pics after a very quick wash. (Can wash and dry the car in half an hour, with one wash cloth.)
About this car model I know just about everything, or can find it out. I am the Rowdie of this car.

Attachments

#27 ·
The North American 107 was badged 350SL even though it had a 4.5L V/8. There are theories on why. They one that makes the most sense to me is Mercedes did not have the 450SL badge ready in time. Later when the 450SL badge became available many dealers changed the when the car was brought in for service. My '72 (002913) had the 450SL badge.

As for the hardtop latches The one in my pictures is from the '72. The cap is missing the black outer ring. The '73 has at least one complete cap. I will try to get a pic. this morning. The chrome plate below the cap is also different. The cap attaches differently.

#29 ·
The North American 107 was badged 350SL even though it had a 4.5L V/8. There are theories on why. They one that makes the most sense to me is Mercedes did not have the 450SL badge ready in time. Later when the 450SL badge became available many dealers changed the when the car was brought in for service. My '72 (002913) had the 450SL badge.

If looking at the cars of the 1960's, there was a convention of calling cars by a number line that corresponded to the chassis. For example:

~1968-1972:

280 = w108/w111:
--- 2.8 m130 280se coupe/convertible
--- 2.8 m130 in 280s, 280se, 280sel --- 4.5 m117 in 280se 4.5, 280sel 4.5

300 = w109/w112 (pneumatic suspension version of w108/111)
--- 300se (I think this was ended with the succession of the 3.0 big six by the 2.8 m130)
--- 300sel previous 3.0 "big six" m189 replaced with 2.8 m130 for "300sel"
--- 3.5 m116 in "300sel 3.5"
--- 6.3 in "300sel 6.3"

250 = w114
--- 2.8 m130 in "250", "250e" sedan and "250c", "250ce" coupe

Honestly the w114 and w115 cars got very confusing with multiple engines available during this time period, and I don't remember all the w115 nomenclature, but a "stroke 8", "/8" (meaning the w114/115 chassis debuted in 1968) was a w114 if it was a 6 cylinder, and w115 if it was not, and all coupes were 6 cylinder. But the diesel went sequentially from: 200d, to 220d, to 240d, but when the engine changed to a 3.0, it didn't go directly to a 300d. The first went to a "240d 3.0" in 1974(-1975?) when there was also a "240d". It was as if they did not want to trump the 2.8 liter m130 (faster, more prestigious) w114 coupes or sedans with a "300d" label.

Note that the higher numbers were reserved for the higher end cars. The w114 "250" is a lower end car than the higher "280". The w113 "280sl" was ok because it was not a coupe or sedan, but a roadster.

So I believe, when the r107 was conceived, it was done so with a 3.5 m116, and it was to be called the "350sl", a higher number than the 280sl, as the 280sl was the successor to the 250sl, likewise 230sl. Then with the wide variety of engines used in the /8, and the m110 2.8 being so freaking awesome :) that they decided to out it in everything, including cars way more prestigious than the 3.0 diesel. Things got very wonky. Would a "350sl 2.8" be a desirable name? No. Who wants a 350sl that has a badge for a smaller weaker engine?" The numbers seemed to only be added when it was advertising a larger better engine.

So... The American 4.5 in a r107 "350sl". My understanding is that the 3.5 m116 engine wouldn't make much power if cobbled with the emissions controls required for the US. So the larger 4.5 was used to provide ample power for the heavy r107. The North American m117 "350sl 4.5" was actually a weaker engine than the 3.5 euro. Was it really worthy of a prestigious "4.5" badge? Nope. Ok. Emissions restrictions of the US were causing larger engines to be used, but the cars didn't perform any better. What was Mercedes Benz to do?

It seems that finally, for the most part, in 1973-1975 they decided it was time to let go of the concept of their most prestigious cars having the same model number.

R107 went from 350sl to 350sl, 450sl, 280sl.

C107 went from 350slc to 350slc, 450slc, 280slc.

W108 was discontinued, and replaced with w116 that appears to have started in 1973 as a 280s, 280se, 350se, but the 450se and 450sel came slightly later. With the exception of the special 450sel 6.9, the w116 followed a (new?) Nomenclature of the engine size matching the model name.

The same appears to have started in 1973 for the r107 and c107, again with a very special exception, the "450slc 5.0".

So, 1972-1973 seems to be an era of changes in the way in which MB named their cars. I doubt there was an issue with MB producing the badges. Rather I think MB said "oops. Let's correct those few 107.044 cars that we shipped at 350sl instead of 450sl."

The data card on my 107.044.12.007016 early 1973 450sl says "350sl", and Tom Hanson said, "yes, technically your car is a 1973 350sl 4.5". Say what!!?!? :D

#109 ·

Rowdie was right, better than my memory... I kept cleaning and digging around the house and looking in places I thought I had looked before... (hey its been 17 years and I've moved a dozen times and my home was destroyed by a fire and I had a kid and cancer ... I'm old, what can I say?) and I FOUND a bunch of parts I had put aside for the car. The original faster caps, one still wearing the black ring, these are replacement handles, but I hope I can return the other expensive handles I just bought (new ones are prettier but shorter, I think I will need the leverage). Looks like I bought a half dozen of the glove box lights, I even had a new socket waiting. Also the HVAC direction.

So that's nice :)

Attachments

#42 ·
Memories can lead you astray sometimes.:smile
Emissions controls actually began in earnest with the '74 models which introduced catalytic convertors (at least in the California version.) Over the next half dozen model years the 450 got ever more strangled by controls until the last one in '80 was a weak beast that could barely get out of its own way.
The succeeding 380 with its all-alloy engine performed about as well with much smaller displacement and notably better fuel consumption.
The 560 was a relative rocket but won't win any races against a modern Honda Accord.

#45 ·
The 560 was a relative rocket but won't win any races against a modern Honda Accord.
Reminds me of a long running argument on the old Z3 boards about the S2000's being faster than Z3s. I believe the Japanese cars are wicked fast. I haven't driven an S2K and I like their styling but there's just something about driving a Z3.

I know you are correct about the 1974 date and pollution controls and also the eurythane bumpers.

My memory is crap but there are somethings I really remember.

#50 ·
It was linked on one of my earlier posts, I found the release handles and glove box light and some other bits at AuthenticClassics.com, and spoke to George there, who is also an SL guy or at least very knowledgeable and helpful.

I remember doing the magnet thing on the engine block. I really think that's it and will check when I go back to the car, along with checking to see if the grill is all metal instead of plastic. As soon as I get the parts from Fonzi I will go back to the car and let you know about the magnet test :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.