Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

2 cans of fix a flat and it still won't hold air

1K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  MBGraham 
#1 · (Edited)
OT... Volvo related 2 cans of fix a flat and it still won't hold air

So I was running down the good ole PA Turnpike doing about 75 when I heard a noise. It took me about 1/2 a mile to get from the left lane off to the very narrow right shoulder. This is what I had to deal with. The almost brand new right rear Continental tire had shredded itself!
I changed the tire using Volvo's IKEA Jack, they give you jack PIECES that you assemble on the side of the road! Every truck that zoomed by at 70 caused the poor car to rock on that Jack to the point where I was scared!

Got the doughnut tire on and got to work. 145$ for a new tire and got home. Now here is the funny part of the story. I drove into work the next day and the car was vibrating starting at 45 getting BAD at 60 plus. I called my tire place and asked them to check the balance on the other three tires ( I had had the Contis swapped out for my Blizzaks by a different place) they called me and asked if I had any suspension work done lately. I told them that the guys who swapped tires had done the tie rod ends and control arm bushings as well. They told me that the other place had FORGOTTEN TO PUT THE BOLT HOLDING THE FRONT AXLE TO THE HUB! The right side axle was held to the hub by the brake caliper! Thank God that rear tire blew or I could have lost my right FRONT wheel!

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks! I had the tire shop order the bolts from Volvo and install them. Now the car is safe again. Original shop has been dealt with. Needless to say I will not be going back there...

I am lucky, those Continental tires are tough! I rode that tire until it was toast and never felt like I was loosing control. That road is the scariest place I have ever been stuck in. Never wanna do that again!

#6 ·
When my S500 right front bearing exploded, the wheel was held in place by the caliper only. Same situation if the axle spindle nut comes off.

#7 ·
On the front drive Volvo, the axle bolt holds the hub to the axle. Once the bolt was gone, the only thing holding the hub to the axle was the splined shaft and the caliper!

#9 ·
they have been a really good tire, great wet and dry traction and it did keep its shape and not fly off when it blew. I am blaaming the PA Turnpike the condition of that road, which costs me $10 a day to suffer on, should be enough to get the entire state government shot.
Other explanation could be the monkey I had do the switchover from snows to the contis.He might have installed it on the rim badly. Of course the tire could also have just been defective.

All in all I am going back to Generals on this car once the continentals are worn.

#10 ·
they have been a really good tire, great wet and dry traction and it did keep its shape and not fly off when it blew.
Continentals do seem to be the standard tires installed on new MBs in Canada. Our GLK250 has them. They are probably no better or worse that many other brands. Of course, if you look at reviews, you will see bad reports. But that is true of all makes. I stopped buying Michelins for our E320 and 300D, because they wore out prematurely. They had warranty, but not once tires are 6 yrs old. so I was not happy, but I wouldn't say they are bad tires.

#11 ·
The folks over on the 210 forum swear by the Continentals.

The indy I use in the Cities recommends Michelins; I had a set of Primacy MXV4s on my 210 wagon, and they were great. I'd definitely get another set.

No idea what I'll get for the 164 once the tires on it wear out, but that'll be a while: they were new when I got the truck.

#13 ·
The folks over on the 210 forum swear by the Continentals.

The indy I use in the Cities recommends Michelins; I had a set of Primacy MXV4s on my 210 wagon, and they were great. I'd definitely get another set.
After Michelins (good but wore fast) and Dunlop SPs (noisy and wore fast), I bought Uniroyal Tiger Paw Touring for our W210. They are not expensive, quiet and although only about 50% worn, have already outlasted the other two sets. All all-weather tires.

#12 ·
I have put General Altimax HO on everything from a Volvo XC70, Volvo S80, to both W126's I have owned and they have always been great. They were out of the size I needed for the S60 which is why I went with the Continentals. I have Hankooks on the 450SL and I love those too. Don't know if I will go with Continentals again...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.