Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

OT - New Member of the "Family"

1K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  dugald 
#1 ·
Didn't want to interrupt that roof debris clean up and pool prep talk over on the "Memorial Day Plans" thread. Brought home this '30 Model A Deluxe Roadster today and spent the day poking at it, sorting through the usual 25% decent, 75% junk parts that came along with it, and looking at other garage stuff.

The car is rock solid but cosmetics are tired - we figure the paint and replacement interior and top was done at some point in the late 50s or early 60s. Leaving it that way for now as I am knee deep in another project. If we go somewhere less than 15 miles we will use the "A - longer, or if we want a top that is weather tight, we will use the 107 of course!

Never did get to that lawn today...

Attachments

See less See more
#8 ·
That's pretty. There was a group of model A's touring Michigan a few years ago. It was fun to see the differences and options thru the years........... :)

I like the color.

RC

#10 ·
Now that sure has some Pizzazz.

The old man had a Ford 3-door Touring as one of his toys. Don't remember the exact year (1919?), but I do have some good memories of it. Great parade car! I think I like the look of yours better, Steve, and hope you're able to make a lot of good memories with it.

#11 ·
Thanks guys - Chief, we need to compare "A"s - no tags yet but I did have the guy I bought it from meet me at a garage Saturday so the CT VIN verification is done. I may or may not have taken a couple short drives though!!

Charles, the pictures are kind - it's a true 20 footer, so long term we will re-restore but I think I will keep the colors which were available in '30. Still have a lot to do on the T Speedster so I don't want two big projects going on at once, I kind of like the old look to it so I am going to try to resist going nuts cleaning and painting things on it as we address a few things, and do the cosmetics all at once down the road.

Rockcrusher, this is my second Model A - what amazed me when I had the first, was the fact that there are 2 national clubs devoted to these cars, each put out a bi monthly magazine - one would think they have written all there is to write about them by now - and they probably have actually, but more often than not they would have something I did not know in there.

Nobby, are you saying Dugald was driving a Model A he bought new??!! Ouch!:grin

#12 ·
Thanks guys - Chief, we need to compare "A"s - no tags yet but I did have the guy I bought it from meet me at a garage Saturday so the CT VIN verification is done. I may or may not have taken a couple short drives though!!
We do indeed need to compare "A"s. Mine should be through the CT vin verification this week. A mildly interesting story about that, I'll share in person.

The brake work and lower control arm bushings will all be done by then, so we'll have to go for a drive!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.