Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Automatic to 5 speed manual conversion

44K views 359 replies 25 participants last post by  MrSpock 
#1 ·
Purchased a 5 speed Getrag 717.400 from Euro and should be here by the middle if the month. Fonzi found it on the W126 forum, and the great guy
That he is, he text me the thread. I jumped on it and it will be shipped shortly.

Everthing seems to be in the kit however, what about the driveshaft.
Is the one in my automatic ln my 85 euro 280sl going to work,
I dont know if the automatic has a longer driveshaft than the manual.

If I need to get whichever end modified ( shortened) then i need the length required. I will order a new clutch disk and throughout bearing ifanyone knows the part nrs that i will need.

What else should i prepare for. A kit to rebuild the slave clyinder or get a new one.

#4 ·
From automobile catalog.com the 1985 has a 3.58 differential for both the auto and manual trans versions. I assume your differential will be good for the swap. I can probably box up that driveshaft if you want.

I am pretty sure I took pictures for Nobby in a thread where I think he may have been seeking a driveshaft, and I was trying to tell him he should have taken it while he was here. Then when he saw pics, he said he has NEVER seen a driveshaft that rusty.

#15 ·
Now that's good intel

It's always nice to know what the ratios were in the various models. 280/300/380's always have those '70 Chevelle numbers. Whereas everything else (esp the 560ECE/RuF) are at 2.65 or less numerically. It really show that MB put a lot of forethought in the entire package from the engine build and power to the trans and rear diff equation.

#7 ·
part numers for 5 speed manual trans

Does anyone have a list of replace ment parts that you ordered from where
When you overhauled your 5 speed manual trans. (717.400)

Seals, bearings, hydraulic slave clyinder ( or repair kit)
Clutch
Clutch disk
Anything for pedals...plastic bushings...etc

I ll probably have the flywheel resurfaced at machine shop.
Pobably new clutch..throwout bearing...clutch disk

Any write ups about this swap would be appreciated.

FOR some reason I cannot search for any threads on my IPAD.

#10 ·
Got a update tiday and my forthcoming 5 speed swap kit should be here on the 21st april. So I getting prepared.
Fonzi has mailed me the front lengthened driveshaft. I have a shop in paso robles that is going to balance the complete unit.
Talked to the guy this morning.

1. DOES anyone have a photo of where the hydraulic line goes thru the dash from transmission to the slave clyinder
At the replacement pedals. I assume i have to drill a hole for the steel line to enter the interior and it would be great
To know about where that hole should be.

2. does anyone have part numbers fir the clutch Disc and throw-out bearing.

3. Part numbers for the rear U-joint and drive shaft center bearing items.

I have tried a dozen times to get the EPC to come up, buypt after i logon and run it, there comes a EPC errorand it throws me off.

I am using windows 7, and it was working a month ago, but not now.

As i remove the automatic tranny I will take photos of the complete process from removal thru
Re-installation of the 717.400 5 speed Manual.

Any and all information will be appreciated.

Dennis

#16 ·
Got a update tiday and my forthcoming 5 speed swap kit should be here on the 21st april. So I getting prepared.
Fonzi has mailed me the front lengthened driveshaft. I have a shop in paso robles that is going to balance the complete unit.
Talked to the guy this morning.

1. DOES anyone have a photo of where the hydraulic line goes thru the dash from transmission to the slave clyinder
At the replacement pedals. I assume i have to drill a hole for the steel line to enter the interior and it would be great
To know about where that hole should be.

2. does anyone have part numbers fir the clutch Disc and throw-out bearing.

3. Part numbers for the rear U-joint and drive shaft center bearing items.

I have tried a dozen times to get the EPC to come up, buypt after i logon and run it, there comes a EPC errorand it throws me off.
I am using windows 7, and it was working a month ago, but not now.

As i remove the automatic tranny I will take photos of the complete process from removal thru
Re-installation of the 717.400 5 speed Manual.

Any and all information will be appreciated.

Dennis

re: 1) EGv107. Performance section. Electroshock's thread. Pics.

Barely posted from my iphone3. thx rowdie!

#12 ·
I've had mine on and off a dozen times, by myself. I put the car on some cribs then use a floor jack to support the center muffler (or resonator, not sure what it really is) while I pop off the hangars and loosen the pipe from the manifold. Then it's easy to lower the entire pipe assembly. Basically you want to press the exhaust system up against the bottom of the car while you disassemble it.

Now we both know that my car is different, but when I broke down the car for the swap I removed the entire exhaust system by myself. And even now all of the system is totally stock from where the down tube of the 617 meets the stock system.

Worth a try if you want to get it done earlier.

#13 ·
I was working on it this afternoon. I have a roll around metal table and i put some carjacks
Near the front and the other near the back. Took off two cracked rubber rings and left it
As is. Maybe tomorro ill try to see if i can loosen the 4 exhaust manifold bolts first. I sprayed them with
PB blaster when i quit.

#21 · (Edited)
What is that brass pointer button in the front hub. I don't find any way to remove it. I want to change out the front brake rotors with new ones.
Can anyone tell me how to remove that brass button and what does it do. ?

2nd question on the drivers side below the steering shaft tube there is a black looking button that I don't know what it does. That is where I thought
the Hydraulic line from the trans to the hydraulic slave cylinder under the dash with the clutch pedal is.

Also the two sensors on the brake disk calipers. Can you just pull them out. or ????

Attachments

#22 · (Edited)
Brass "thing" is a radio suppressor-anti static-kinda thingy... should just pries/pull off.

Sensors should gently pull out. The loop of plastic-coated wire (IIRC) sits in a hole in the pad.

I believe the button is the kickdown switch...

Attachments

#33 ·
Nobby, i have one out of a 74 450sl. Shoot me a photo of yours so i have a idea what you are telling me i need.

For some reason i still can not get the EPC to run. I can logon but after that i get a error notification

I need to source this problem and fix it.

#34 ·
Nobby, your car came from the factory with a 5 speed manual trans ? I could use your vin to find what parts i need off the epc ?
I got the epc up on my old computer this morning but my vin will not let me select parts from the epc to download into a list from the epc

#37 ·
Sorry Dennis. Been busier than a hooker at a Shriner's convention.

What do you need from me? I will have an hour tomorrow morning I can take some pics and see what part numbers I have.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.