Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Red 1985 280sl 5-speed w Lorinser Kit

38K views 272 replies 25 participants last post by  Fonzi 
#1 · (Edited)
It's time to officially unveil my most recent purchase. Today I brought home a 1985 (edit: 1984, not 1985) 280SL five speed with a Lorinser kit (front and rear only).

I had previously eliminated r107 cars from my potential keepers because we have three children. The only cars I had considered keeping seat five. But none of my cars were five speeds with overdrive. While fuel economy is not super important due to the low number of miles I drive, whenever I make long trips I always take my Honda Ridgeline which gets 20 mpg tops. That is significantly better than anything I've got. The 280 SLC four-speed might come close and is a lot of fun to drive. But it is hard to justify taking it over a very comfortable much larger vehicle that gets about the same or better fuel economy and takes regular gas. So I was always seeking ways to get a five speed convertible. I may not have been actually seeking to 80 SL five speed, but when this one came along I had to check it out. The price was so good that I considered even possibly buying the car if it was a rustbucket.

Several weeks ago I went to see the car less than 24 hours after the initial craigslist post. I was very surprised to find the car, even though it was advertised as having rust, was mostly rust free. Rust spots include:

– Driver fender where fender meets bottom of headlight behind bumper

- passenger fender in rhythm section in front of door

- apparently rotted out bottom rear of hardtop

- small rear corner of the driver door

I believe all of the above with the exception of the hardtop can be remediated simply by grinding down rust bubbles and repainting. Of course the hardtop probably makes most sense to simply replace. Overall this could potential he be the most rust free mercedes-Benz I ever purchased. I have owned several Mercedes that have not had any rust in the cosmetic body paint like this one does. However it appears the underbody and trunk of this vehicle are 100% rust free. Further inspections are required, but the car is much cleaner then I required to make this purchase.

Mechanically the car seems very sound but does have a few problems.

- The temperature gage shoots all the way up and sticks when it hits 80° see.

- The odometer has stopped working at 59,000 miles

- driver seat heater does not seem to heat.

I am unaware of any other significant problems at this point. The car drives very well. I was told by the owner who just bought the car from a colleague a few months ago (for $1200 on paper) that the mileage is most accurately estimated as about 80,000 miles.

Now the interior does tell a different story.
- The armrest leather is ripped.
- The mushroom leather seats look very worn, but are not ripped.
- The dash has some cracks in it.
Perhaps the top was left down in the rain a few too many times.

I got a carfax on the car and the car only had one period where the car didn't have regular registrations between 2003 and 2008. Records began in Florida in 2000 with about 38,000 miles, and continued up to about ~41,000 miles in Delaware. Apparently the girl who owned the car in Delaware got the car from her dad who lived in Florida. Federalization paperwork shows an odometer reading of 213 miles in ~April 1985, but does call it a 1984 model. The VIN is 1070421A016324 . I was fortunate to get the information of the previous owner, the girl who got the car from her father who I believe imported the car, along with a photocopy of her title. Overall, I am VERY pleased with the history I received, as I may be able to track down the maintenance records, even though I got the car for a price that didn't include them.

Oh. The rockers have no Lorinser sides. Strange. The rockers also appear to have been painted. The red paint appears to possibly be original. I'm not sure though.

I plan to remove the lorinser kit and install the red 560sl air dam that I have. I don't like bundt so I will certainly change the wheels, but I'm not sure if I will do this before or after removing the body kit.

That's enough for now. How about pictures? Right?

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Classic car Mercedes-benz r107 and c107

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Classic car Mercedes-benz r107 and c107

More later

See less See more
#3 ·
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Sedan Classic car

Red Vehicle Car Automotive exterior Bumper

Vehicle Car Car seat cover Car seat Seat belt

Car Vehicle Floor Family car

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive exterior Vehicle door

Vehicle door Automotive exterior Architecture Vehicle Car

Vehicle Car Automotive exterior Bumper Auto part

Motor vehicle Vehicle door Automotive exterior Vehicle Car

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Engine Auto part

Oh. The seller said the AC was cold. I'm not so sure. The compressor was definitely running as the output was hot in the engine bay, but with only about 50 degrees F today, it's hard to tell. It's been converted to r134 so it should be easy to recharge.

#4 ·
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Performance car Automotive exterior

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Luxury vehicle Alloy wheel

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Sedan Luxury vehicle

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Steering wheel Car seat
Steering part Steering wheel Speedometer Auto part Gauge

And I will install this seat from Shep. I have another, but I think this one is nicer. I have all the hardware with the one I got from Kmukerjee 's 500sl parts car. But the bottom stitches are all pulled out on that one. I'm sure I can make a nice jump seat from the two sets.
Vehicle Car seat Car Auto part Wood

Some other pics:
Fire alarm system

Vehicle Car

Pink Red Magenta Tire Material property

Well. I think that's it for now. Project list begins, as does the search for a matching hardtop. I do plan to really drive this one a lot.

#255 ·
A nice car !

Well. I think that's it for now. Project list begins, as does the search for a matching hardtop. I do plan to really drive this one a lot.
Nice car ! I love the scarlet car.

Once I had a 380SL, not a manual transmission car though.
I think no MT cars imported, becase many japanese love AT cars.

I wish i would drive a MT SL :)

I had a DATSUN mini truck with a 3 speeds Column shift lever arm.
I used to enjoy driveing on dirt roads.

#7 · (Edited)
Very nice! I'm glad you finally outed yourself :grin. Be interesting to watch another Benz Brothers train wreck for awhile !

PS, please expedite the debastardization of that poor beast, that Lorsinger crap makes me throw up in my mouth ! :eek

Just for you I will have to leave it on there for a good long while. :)
I think that the kits can look decent, but doubt it will even try. This one doesn't look too bad IMO:

BELOW IS NOT MINE:
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Luxury vehicle

^^ NOT MINE
Car Vehicle Classic car Automotive lighting Bumper

^^ NOT MINE

I think any kit looks terrible with bundts. Maybe with some larger wheels it would look OK. But why bother? Right? I'm not going to waste any time on fiberglass repair and painting.

#8 ·
Nice Fonzi:grin:grin With your experience with the M110 you should have it humming along in no time. Before my tune up I was getting 24MPG. Hoping to get better now, but am having a hard time keeping car under 70MPH:devil. 16" rims have really helped the handling, but front passenger side barely rubs fender, while backing up, about once in five times. I thinck there would be room without the front spoiler.

#11 ·
Nice find Fonzi. You seem to feret out some neat cars. I don't see neat
examples like that down here in N.C.

BTW, I think I read in your description that you were looking for a matching
Hard Top - but the pictures show a hard top on it?

You got a very desirable SL, hell I don't need to tell you that. Looks like
a very doable restoration project and one worth spending some dollars on.
Those seats should dress out nicely. There are some products out there
that can make old leather look like new. Manual Trans, red, low miles, great price,
it usually don't get better than that.

Carl

#14 ·
BTW, I think I read in your description that you were looking for a matching
Hard Top - but the pictures show a hard top on it?

Yes. The CL listing described the car as having rust. The hard top is apparently so rotted out on the rear bottom that the seal has fallen off. So I will be looking to find one with the right interior and exterior colors to simply replace it. I do think I will make this car a year-round driver.

I will also be seeking a "mushroom" leather (or tex) armrest. I figure that's probably easier than getting it recovered.

Seats: redye

Stop any rust.

Fix odometer and temp gauge.

Get those bundts off of there. :D

Track down maintenance records and discover what all the car needs. The front brake calipers look brand new. They don't even seem to have any dust on them. I noticed that when putting it on the dolly to bring it home.

Oh. Get lorinser kit off and install red 560sl I had (slated to be painted and installed on SLC convertible, but now I don't need to paint it). :D

#13 ·
Are they pretty common there? I wonder what puts them at the bottom of the pecking order there. I understand that they may have been the least expensive when new, but if you've driven a variety of 107s, you'd know the 280 stick is the most fun. :D

Edit: I wonder if it's the shifting with the left hand that's the problem. Are manual trans sports cars desired in the UK?

#18 ·
Heated seats are an option I was excited about. Hopefully I can get the driver seat working.

I honestly did not check for smog equipment before today. I took a few pics in response to your message.

Vehicle Automotive exhaust Auto part Car Exhaust system

Automotive tire Tire Auto part Automotive exterior Automotive wheel system

^^ appears to be a catalytic converter.

Automotive exterior Car Vehicle Bumper Auto part

Muffler Pipe Auto part Metal

Rust Automotive exterior Bumper Automotive tire Auto part

^^ resonator / mid-muffler

So it's got two mufflers plus a cat.

Auto part Steering part Fuel line Rust Steering wheel

Auto part Vehicle Rust Engine Fuel line

Rust Auto part Automotive exhaust Automotive exterior Vehicle

Bunch of crap on the manifolds.

Auto part Fuel line Engine Wire Vehicle

Charcoal canister seems to be so loose it could hit the AC belt of it gets looser.

Auto part Fuel line Engine Vehicle Car

There doesn't appear to be any frequency valve crap. I wonder in enrichment is handled via the WUR.

#29 ·
Anybody know what this white/creme thing is next to the loose charcoal canister?
Auto part Vehicle Car

Is it strange to have AC and no aux fan on a 280sl? I noticed that Nobby's doesn't have one (and I know he doesn't have functional AC, but I thought he simply disconnected his AC).
Vehicle Motor vehicle Grille Car Automotive exterior

Technology Electronic device

^^ I guess the old r12 was leaking. I wonder what was done to convert it. I hope they did everything needed.

#32 ·
Interesting. I'd always understood that manuals are more prevalent there because of fuel economy issues.

Haven't heard of RS-24 here. Most folks just pump R-134 in, and add the right oil (different from a system that's never had R-12 in it), but as I understand it, to work well, you also need to change the expansion valve.

#35 ·
Ears on this forum recommended I try Enviro-Safe.
Its been in my 560SL for almost 2 years now and the AC is cold.
All I did was vacume the system, release vacume, and then put
in 2 cans of Eviro-Safe. Didn't change the Receiver Dryer.
Did install two R134 adaptors for the High and Low taps.

9 Cans of Enviro Safe Refrigerant R 134 A and R 12 Replacement | eBay

#37 · (Edited)
Need to come visit!

I need to come over and visit your new find. I like the Lorenser kit, might look good on Monika since it will not even need to be painted :)

#38 ·
I need to come over and visit your new find. I like the Lorenser kit, might look good on Monika since it will not even need to0 be painted :)

Aero1 near NY/CT border apparently has a kit and sides for both SL and SLC. Matching up the two Lorinser kits would make a whole one.

I think it would need paint regardless due to cracks in fiberglass.

#39 · (Edited)
Finally took pictures of the federalization paperwork. Seeing the 0213 miles on 4-6-1985 sure is nice to see. That helps verify it was a low mileage car through ~2003 or so.

Imported January 1985 and says model year is 1984. I guess I will have to check with Tom H.

Text Font Line Line art Document

Text Line Font Parallel Document

Text Font Line Document Parallel

Text Font Document Line art Line

Text Font Line Parallel

Text Font Document Paper

Text Font Document

Text Font Document Paper

Text Font Document Paper

#41 ·
How do you tell from a later VIN whether automatic or manual trans?

This one starts with exact same first 8 digits but is an automatic.

Mercedes Benz SL 280 Excellent Cond 9000

http://cnj.craigslist.org/cto/4934746618.html

Email: qcfzk-4934746618@sale.craigslist.org
Phone: (107) 042-1004
Date: 2015-03-16 1:50pm

1984 Mercedes Benz sl 280 odometer: 51282 VIN: WDB1070421A004457 paint color : silver size : compact type : convertible drive : rwd fuel : gas transmission : automatic title status : clean cylinders : 6 cylinders
condition: excellent
1984 Mercedes Benz 280 SL Euro-spec roadster

VIN: 2 WDB1070421A004457

Excellent condition -- garage kept, never driven in winter, no rust anywhere. Soft top in great condition. All gauges in perfect working condition. Under the hood is a 2.8 liter twin cam fuel injected straight six never offered in the U.S. roadsters. The engine is mated to a three-speed automatic gearbox that shifts beautifully.

Regularly tuned and lubed by my local garage.

Includes custom car cover and hardtop on cradle (currently in the basement).

Beautiful, rare, blue/black leather-blue/black plaid interior with rear seats and seatbelts. CD player. Euro headlights. Even includes the German first aid kit.

Kilometers on the odometer: 82,530; 51,282 miles. Very low for a 30-year old vintage car.

I am the second owner, having bought it from a neighbor who was moving to New York about five years ago. But I seldom drive it and it's taking up space in the garage (now that the kids are starting to drive, life's getting a bit crowded. . .). The only blemishes are one slight indentation on the left rear bumper above the exhaust, a light scratch behind the rear window, and a one-inch cut in the leather on the driver's side door, and a slight indent on the side panel trim behind the driver door. See photos. Otherwise, it's pristine.

Asking $9,000.

Only serious inquiries please.

#45 ·
Color pics of federalization paperwork. As you can see from the "1/4", "2/4" etc this was a fax, and probably a low resolution one ~98x104 dpi. You can artificially enhance an image with image processing software like Kofax VRS, Kodak PerfectPage, and other programs that come free with scanners, but you are often editing an image when this is done. The above images were saved in black and white since the paper doesn't have any color in it. Grayscale or color might have looked nicer.
Text Document Paper Paper product

Text Document Paper Font Receipt

Text Paper Font Document Paper product

Text Document Paper Font Paper product