Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Are 107 forums dying ?

7K views 77 replies 33 participants last post by  abiby 
#1 ·
The North American forums not ROTW
Seems like the ones I visit are not very active anymore.
Mercedes Heritage (formerly OUR SL) I understand why it died. Can't post pictures. MercedesHeritage Forums:

Peachparts (now owned buy PelicanParts) I know Walrus :wink: on there says it was always all SLs but sorry it was not. It used to be 107 specific. Now a bunch of R129, SLK and question about all models. SL Forum - PeachParts Mercedes ShopForum

MBCA. If I understand correctly you have to be a member to post there. Mercedes-Benz Club of America Forum

MBWorld. More active than some but still kind of stagnate. SL/SLC-Class (R107) - MBWorld.org Forums

Any others you guys visit? Thoughts?

#5 ·
Ditto, for R107.
Though I do frequent Antique Radio, Antique Television forums,
and other forums like Android developers, Planet Isuzu, and Ubuntu Linux.

Love this forum the best. Wish it was more active. Lets create some controversy :)

Carl

#10 ·
Suspect lots of SLs are in winterstorage, and the owners are occupied with other things. Then we have the network effect, the biggest sites grow, the small die due to limited content, a visious circle.

There are also lots of repeats, can't recall how many times I have commented on high idle, and now I don't have any more to add.

I could of course share my current adventure, taking the engine out to replace the flywheel, to fix the spinning starter problem, but who wants a story in weekly installments?

#13 ·
I do show up once and a while, I still have my 83 Euro 500SEC AMG so I go on the bottom feeder 126 forum some times but I go mostly to the AMG Classics site. I do PM and text fonzi. The red SL I bought as I got into it had rust rust on the floor boards and trunk but the rockers were solid and the fenders solid no rust. I put up a ad to part it on ebay and someone is buying the entrie car for the great running engine and trans and fenders etc... so I got the AMG bits and Euro lights off it and with the sale it is a break even.

I did just buy a rust free 450SL and will post pics as soon as I have my Euro bumpers, Euro lights, AMG kit and ATS 5 spokes on it.

#15 ·
I've occasionally looked at most of the forums that Rowdie mentions, but haven't found anything more active than BW, and the 107 forum seems far more active than the others I routinely check here.

I do also visit MBCA daily where I'm a member (you do now need to be a member to post), but it's pretty quiet there much of the time. Generally, there's more activity on BW's 107 forum than there is on the entire MBCA site.

There's been some kind of an ongoing effort to improve things over there, but I haven't noticed any appreciable improvement in the time I've been a member. For some reason, however, I do feel some sense of belonging over there. Maybe it's the annual dues! :)

#30 ·
I do also visit MBCA daily where I'm a member (you do now need to be a member to post), but it's pretty quiet there much of the time. Generally, there's more activity on BW's 107 forum than there is on the entire MBCA site.

There's been some kind of an ongoing effort to improve things over there, but I haven't noticed any appreciable improvement in the time I've been a member. For some reason, however, I do feel some sense of belonging over there. Maybe it's the annual dues! :)
Though I'm a member and participate in local MBCA events and do occasionally look at its forum I no longer participate there. I came to feel unwelcome there after some admin comments and having some posts deleted.

#20 ·
Being as I know walrus well, and am aware he posted views from the wayback machine of the pp SL forum from past history and I don't know what changed that later SL questions started showing up. Other than that, pp and bw are the only SL forums I frequent. Roy's site used to be in the list but the change to pay for view Mercedes heritage spoiled it for me and the walrus...

Sent from my dumb phone...

#23 ·
I'm a member of MBCA and I have visited PP if it came up in Google link based on search terms, but I mostly hang out here. I find SO much information and help here.

Interestingly, I seem to be more active on the board during the Winter months in SoCal while many other 107 owners might have their cars in storage. Spring through Fall is my busiest time with work, so I tend to have less time to spend online.

I am always intrigued by the view / response ratio. Even with my dumb questions. LOL However, I'm grateful to those that do respond as I'm gaining my 107 knowledge.

#26 ·
Dear Friends,

I have been reading the forum, here, almost daily - eagerly awaiting the spring warm-up to allow me to go work on my car. As it is a new vehicle type to me, I do not think I have much relevant experience to contribute.

One of the previous posters on this thread is getting ready to pull his trans and do some work .. . but hesitates to post a little bit each week. Speaking for myself, I would welcome watching the procedure as it progressed. A few things each week, a few photographs to illustrate the process and in the end you have made a tread that is a "dummy's guide" for that repair

Thinking about the wealth of knowledge amassed here by the current and past members, the spectre of the sponsor pulling the plug is something the "collective hive mind" might want to make plans for.* The "Encyclopaedia" is a fairly easy easy source to back up and post else where compared to the random postings of a forum. Perhaps when a topic is brought up that particular thread could be moved into a subset of the "Encyclopaedia." Subsequent inquiries could be given a link to where the information has already been typed out by the original posters.

I realize this suggestion might seemingly increase the amount of traffic going directly to the "Encycopaedia", but some traffic is better than no traffic AND it would make a fairly easy back up of the collected information. There will still be folks asking about things that haven't been covered, things that just don't seem to apply and things that are more social.

Regards,

John+

* I have been a forum participant on three forums where the sponsor(s) a) closed the forum down without warning and everything was lost OR b) monetized the forum and placed it behind a subscription wall - which effectively killed it. When I found this 107 forum, saw the number and quality of postings I immediately forwarded my pennies to support it. I encourage the lurkers and others benefiting from the information and service offered here to do the same. Certainly one good piece of information saved you money on keeping your car on the road.

#31 ·
In my view, it is very simple. This forum rocks because of the quality and wealth of information available, and VERY importantly, because there's a group of kind moderators and members who tirelessly help with any questions.

I joined just 8 months ago as I acquired my 1972 107. It is comforting to know that this forum is there too give 2nd, 3rd or more opinions to any questions I may have.

The forum should probably just stay as is. Its working so why change it.

I'd love to take part in brief get together's in the area when the weather warms up again here around the US Mid-Atlantic.

How many members are there in this Forum?

#33 ·
I think/hope this forum stays alive and well, it is a big help. The only comment I will make is that regardless of medium (Internet forum, club newsletters or magazines) when one is narrowly focused after a while virtually all technical/historical topics of interest get covered, so to keep interest going it is necessary to repeat, and in most cases expand out. I belong or have belonged to several clubs where I think this is a challenge - the Model A Restorer's club comes to mind. Not unlike our cars that represents a fairly narrow scope, and the club was established in the mid-50s. Amazingly research projects continue on these cars but a lot of the club focus is on meets and the social aspect, along with repeating technical and historical articles. While a forum is a different medium the challenges are the same. I would note that MARC membership has increased and no doubt turned a lot over the years, so the redundance is not necessarily old news to some - I would think the same applies here as 107 owners come and go.

#34 ·
John+, a lifetime premium membership is on my list, too, for when I have the funds to spare. Without this forum, I would not have had the confidence to tackle my 107's rusted trailing arm. (That thread got a few posts a week for over 5 months...) And the 107's not the only MB I've had and gotten help for on this system, either.

#36 ·
I can't identify with this but perhaps everyone else's 107SL
no longer has issues :)

Seriously, anyone purchasing one of these cars should jump
all over this forum as it is a gold mine of useful information
for both the DIYer and knowlege for those who farm out
repairs.

#42 ·
I can't identify with this but perhaps everyone else's 107SL no longer has issues :)
I can't speak to any others, but while my 107 has issues, I can't do anything about them till April 11. Once I get it out of storage, I'm sure my posting volume will go back up...

Reactions: cwmoser
#37 ·
I mentioned this on another thread but it may be relevant here also. I have noticed a lot of regulars from a couple other forums I frequent dropping off and doing more on FB. I find myself doing more there as well. One good friend remains a hold out though, using the logic that "FB is user centric while forums are topic centric and therefore better for discussing things related to cars"

I sort of agree - FB works better I think for generally socializing around loosely related auto topics but I think forums are the better way to share and obtain technical info, which I think is the main focal point of this forum.

What am I missing on lifetime membership - does that somehow guarantee one access to this info long term?

#44 ·
Our SLs will be around for many years to come and the need for DIY repairs will increase. BW is the place for those. I have only been on this forum a few years, but have received invaluable advice, the collective wisdom is unbelivable.

This has inspirered me to do tasks I would never have dared on my own (timing chain and guides and my current project: replacing the flywheel (engine out)). To me it is important to try to give something back.

Good point about repeating things for new members !

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.