Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Classic Becker radio with a Bluetooth

12K views 28 replies 15 participants last post by  macarbon_john 
#1 ·
Would this be an ultimate upgrade for your Becker or it is a moot point?

No external devices, seamlessly and fully integrated with the radio, streaming the music only (no phone calls).

TNX

#3 ·
I have something similar: Belkin ipod FM transmitter with RDS (you can see song title on radio).
But that can be a nightmare in city.

With integrated BT at least you have true wireless connectivity at cable-like sound quality and no issues with FM congestion.

What was the cost of Plantronics?

#9 ·
If I am not wrong, CB radio input is mono.
But even if it is a stereo input, I am after an internal integration rather than an attachment.

Power, on other hand, does not bother me. $50 will get you a small decent power amp. True 50W is plenty.

I got this small BT module that does stereo streaming and incorporates a changeover audio switch... small enough to get into the free space inside the radio and it can be wired to intercept cassette...

#11 ·
Just search BT "module" on :eek:Bay and you'll find plenty (the rectangular PCB) for integration.
A bit of soldering is required but at high-school grade will suffice.
If I end up making one, I will post some pics but it will still need some electronic skills.

The problem is that I cannot find those that combine BT headphones (streaming music) feature and at the same time to do the phone calls, so the later has to fall trough. I do not want phone calls when taking a joyride.

#12 ·
...The problem is that I cannot find those that combine BT headphones (streaming music) feature and at the same time to do the phone calls, so the later has to fall trough. I do not want phone calls when taking a joyride.
I'm confused... So do you want to be able to answer the phone or not?
Here is a little idea I saw, that I am thinking of doing; however, one can be bought for around $40US...

#14 ·
Cassette hack is a good idea.
There are few issues with that system but probably only just for few peculiar people, not for most.

I can find a BT module with HSP (headset profile) and HFP (hands-free profile) but audio quality over HSP on these is never good to be considered HiFi.
I tried, there is a noticeble sound quality.
But some with BT v4.0 and pure HSP profile can do excellent audio and can be worthy of .flac files form an iPod or Android phone.

#15 ·
Bringing this back from the dead. Anyone have a clue as to what module this guy used for his BT mod? I'm wanting to install one on my 0754 Grand Prix, but not a lot of literature on how these things plug into the Beckers. Interesting that he has Bluetooth AND an Aux cable added.

#20 ·
I have a number of BT modules that do MP3, Flac player and have input for AUX audio.
It is not a major change to fit if there is space but seamless integration us what matters.
Atm I am compelled to make it fit behind the cassette flap door so one can insert uSD or USB storage for media player which comes with many BT modules.

See images, ikea card for size reference

Attachments

#26 ·
I just bought this - a Bluetooth cassette. Works great. I have my R107 playlist and listen to Angry by the Stones as I drive the city streets. I don’t care about calls - just the breeze and some tunes.
Aluratek Universal Bluetooth Audio Cassette Receiver with Built-in Battery for Car, Boombox, Stereo, RV (ABCT01F) Black, 10.2 x 1.3 x 6.4 Centimetres
Aluratek Universal Bluetooth Audio Cassette Receiver with Built-in Battery for Car, Boombox, Stereo, RV (ABCT01F) Black, 10.2 x 1.3 x 6.4 Centimetres : Amazon.ca: Electronics

#27 ·
Another option if you are really into music is to redo the entire system and bypass the Becker for streaming. With our system, the Becker is kept in place but the Bluetooth module plugs directly into the amplifier. The amp then switches between the bluetooth and the radio inputs depending on if anything is streaming. The system also gets you new speakers and a custom sub. All the cableing is included along with a detailed install guide. All using Audison equipment which is a high end brand from Italy not well known here in the US. That all adds up to a price a bit higher than a FM band module but its a different level of audio quality.

If you want handsfree phone capability, best to replace the becker with a Continental or something retro looking.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.