Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Wheel/Tire help please

2K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  Fonzi 
#1 ·
Hey,

I know wheel and Tire sizes are probably the most repeated topics going, and I apologize in advance for possibly bringing up old questions, but I have spent a bit of time reading old posts, and now my eyes are weary.

I have a very nice set of BBS RS009's sized 8 x 16 et11 in boxes and it's time to buy tires to get them mounted up. (all 4 same width-ET)

Problem is that the car they were meant for is changing before I even use the wheels.

Was originally purchased for a 81 380SL., but I just picked up a 88 560SL which will be delivered near the middle of next week.

After a lot of forum reading it would seem that 225/50 16's may be the best tire size for this SL.

Also, I did see reference to larger brake calipers on the 560's and I'm wondering if I may need spacers or not to clear the calipers?

So can someone please confirm (1), the correct tire size for these rims, and (2), Will I need spacers and if so what size?

Thanks...Aero I

See less See more
#5 ·
Yea got that chart

The low et is for the 8" rim width, which was recommended by a few here on the forums. Just worried that I may need spacers to clear the larger calipers, someone here must know.

and again, is 225/50's 16's the right size?

Thanks...

#4 · (Edited)
Sorry, but you are going to need 15mm spacers to make those rs009 work on the front if your 560sl. That changes them from 8x16 et11 to 8x16 et-4. (Way too low. Will hit air dam.) You can disassemble them and change the lips 2" to 1", but even still your offset will be lower than it should be at et9. So you should really upsize the barrel from the 5.5" to 6" or maybe even 6.5".

Or you could buy a pair of rs133 that are made for the front of a 560sl. There is a rare situation right now where there are 8 known rs133 for sale, a pair of two on ebay in Florida, two that Pearson has for sale in a set that he has modified, and four in my garage.

I have actually been seeking a pair of rs009 or similar, and would consider swapping/selling rs133 for rs009 since I just yesterday sold my set if four rs009. I would like to build a set with rs133 fronts modified to 1.5" lips for 8.5x16 et15 and 2.5" rear lips for probably 9.5x16 et17. A pair of rs009 faces would work well for those rears.

I'm here to solve your wheel problems. :)

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#7 ·
OK Fonzi

I'll PM you, I think we can do a swap of some sort.

And Nobby, thanks for pointing me backwards to myself, appreciate the help there, but I'm too blurry eyed to read many more posts, or figure out what your referencing. (don't bother explaining)

The caliper thing I read in your old posts I believe, and perhaps the tire size also.. thanks for that

I'm tired of the search feature and reading too many threads, and I don't want to argue with anyone. The caliper thing is more important to me than the rest

You either want to help or not, helping would be nice, if not, you can choose to not post at all.....

#8 ·
I'll PM you, I think we can do a swap of some sort.

And Nobby, thanks for pointing me backwards to myself, appreciate the help there, but I'm too blurry eyed to read many more posts, or figure out what your referencing. (don't bother explaining)

The caliper thing I read in your old posts I believe, and perhaps the tire size also.. thanks for that

I'm tired of the search feature and reading too many threads, and I don't want to argue with anyone. The caliper thing is more important to me than the rest

You either want to help or not, helping would be nice, if not, you can choose to not post at all.....
Post 1 and 3. Not a big search.

Anyways get some sleep......and for goodness sakes....use Google to search....the search engine on this forum sucks hind tit.

#9 ·
Nobby was pointing out that all the questions that you asked were answered right in this thread. If he hadn't posted it, then maybe you would have seen it.

Let me try one more time.

Front wheels:
- rs009 are not going to work practically unless you buy (1) spacers, (2) longer lugs, (3) smaller lips, and probably (4) larger barrels.

Rear wheels:
- rs009 are fine. In fact 8x16 et11 is fine on all four corners, but see above for the caliper space issues.

Tires:
- 225/50/16 tires should work on all offsets between 22 and 11 on all 107 cars.
- you can go larger in the rear if you want.

#12 ·
There's nothing wrong with the offset.

The sole issue is the backspacing on the wheel's hub face. The 4 piston callipers and different hub offset on the 560SL means the calliper is closer to the back of the wheel 'spokes'.

It all depends on the shape on the back side of the rim. Sometimes, the design of reinforcing ribs on the back interfere with calliper clearance. Sometimes it is the inside of the inner barrel contacting the calliper (barrel diameter is too small) and sometimes it simply amounts to articulation, where the actual inside rim lip interferes with the suspension on full lock or through full articulation in the vertical plane.

For example, you can fit a set of 16x8 Aero 1 monoblocks - they have et11, or a set of 16x7.5 et17 - both fit without issue, because the brake calliper has clearance to the reverse face of the wheel. (i.e. the wheel's hub face has more space to the back of the wheel 'centre')

and you could fit your 17" aero 1 monoblocks - if they had ET11. And ET28 would also fit, but that changes the wheel offset.

225/50ZR16 on a 16x8 is perfect for the 107. on a 17x8 a 235/45ZR17 is pretty much spot on.

Best way to tell, is to remove a front wheel and fit a bare rim up, and see if it binds on the back side of the wheel.

#13 ·
Thanks

Interesting info on the 16 inch Aero I's, I don't believe I've see those sizes before anywhere. I've got 2 set's, but I think they are both 7.5's et 40.

Anyone have experience with 16" 3 piece Aero I OZ's on a 560SL? I have a set I'm about ready to take out of the boxes, put tires on and mount on my 300CE. I think they are 7.5x16et31's.... just wondering...

Anyway, Fonzi to the rescue, we're going to meet next week and swap wheels..problem solved

Thanks again to everyone, really good info...

BTW, the 88 560SL being delivered next Tuesday is a surprise gift for my wife.

Both cars are the exact color combo's, (her current 380 and the 560 that's heading east on a truck right now), Astral & blue interior & blue canvas top. I've already picked up euro bumpers and headlights for the 380 but not installed them yet.

So sometime in the next week I'm going to tell her that her 380SL is going into the shop to have the euro stuff installed. In the mean time the 560 will really be in the shop getting fully serviced and detailed, I'll also have the euro bumpers put on the 560 at that time. The euro headlights I may or may not do right now. These BBS wheels will go on the new 560 as well...

Anyway, I'll drive the 560 home from the shop and park it in the 380's spot, and see how long it takes her to figure it out...lol

I hate to give up on the 380, as it's still running fine, but needed valve guides, tranny rebuild, ( 2 second rev. engage), climate & A/C inop repairs, adds up to nearly what I paid for the 560.

Thanks Again everyone :)

#14 · (Edited)
offset for the 3 pc oz amg aero styling 1 on a 107 / 126 is 17x8.5 ET18 front and 17x10 ET17 rear.

the 17x7.5ET31 will not fit the front of the SL. the inside rim lip will touch the lower and upper control arm at full articulation (full lock and at before full compression or rebound.)
They will fit on the rear, but will probably rub n the inner tub. if they were 18's you'd clear the suspension no problems.

I have a few sets of monoblocks, in just about all 16 & 17" size/offsets. Prefer the flat face 17's on the 201 & 124 and the convex 16's on the 107's.

But since you're looking at BBS rims, you need to be careful of the backspacing, which is the wheel hub face to wheel centre (rear face) measurement. Offset doesn't automatically guarantee that a wheel will fit. Lorinser LO's are a great case in point on the post 09/85 107's. as are gen 1 pentas (i.e. the ones that look cool)
Best option is to look through all the period-correct images on google etc, and you'll find out most of the sizes and offsets you need.

#15 · (Edited)
But since you're looking at BBS rims, you need to be careful of the backspacing, which is the wheel hub face to wheel centre (rear face) measurement. Offset doesn't automatically guarantee that a wheel will fit. Lorinser LO's are a great case in point on the post 09/85 107's. as are gen 1 pentas (i.e. the ones that look cool)
Best option is to look through all the period-correct images on google etc, and you'll find out most of the sizes and offsets you need.

The bbs rs133 are specifically made for 560sl fronts and are 8x16 et21. They have 1" lips, 6.5" barrels, and a spacer permanently bolted onto the back of the bbs rs wheel. I thought that was strange and attempted to remove one of the screws/bolts on the rs133 I sent to YKA in Finland. They aren't meant to come out. I stopped and tightened it back up before getting even one turned a full turn.

Being et21, the bbs rs133 can handle some extra lip on the outside without causing trouble. Pearson modified the other two from the set I split for Pearson and YKA. Adding a 1/2" of lip to make them 8.5x16 et15 shouldn't be a problem, especially if sticking with a 225/50/16 tire. I don't think there is much room on a 107 to go any further back (larger barrels) than the stock 8x16 et21 though.

Of coarse et15 fronts with 1.5" lips matched with et11 rears with 2" lips (like rs009) sound ok until you think about the fact that the rears would be 8" and narrower than the 8.5" fronts. That's why I'm going to modify two rs009 putting on two 2.5" lips. I also have larger barrels. I can change the 5.5" to either 6" for 9x16 et11, or 9.5x16 et17. 8.5+9 stagger seems a little too mild, but et15 fronts and et17 rears seems wrong when almost every staggered set I've ever seen has a lower offset on the rear. Too bad I don't have 3" barrels to make 10x16 et11.

BTW: YKA came up with the TUV documentation on what tires and rear wheel options should be used with rs133. I will see if I can find it.

On lorinser LO, it's not as easy as BBS RS because the only two I've found to work on a 560sl front are
- 8x16 et22 and
- 8x16 et35 plus 20mm spacers
Pearson has a set of the et35 plus spacers and 9" rears that I had refinished. It seems he's happy as my wheel shop keeps telling me about more stuff they are doing for him.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.