Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Leak at top of windsheild header

2K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  GermanCarShow 
#1 ·
I used to think the soft top had a bad leak, but I drove this week with the hard top installed and got the same leak. It seemed the water was dripping from the sun visor hinge, so I took the trim off the interior windshield header & A-pillars and removed the sun visors and drove in the rain again. I got a view of the water coming out from under the edge of the top trim at the driver's side A-pillar when turning right. (It may come out the passenger side when turning left, but I didn't witness it.)

I've included a picture showing where the water comes out. The other picture is where I believe the water is coming in. I've never had the top trim off the windshield header.
- I have it unscrewed, but what is the trick to removing it?
- Is there foam or rubber beneath it?
- The rubber on the edges of the windshield covers a tab on each end of the trim. Can the trim be removed/replaced without destroying that old rubber seal?
- Can I simply pound the leading edge of the trim down into its "seat" with a rubber hammer?

Thanks!!

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
+1.

I have no idea why these things make such a huge difference with respect to this type of leak, but they do.

I will be tracking down a similar leak on my 1979 280sl. In addition to having no grommets, the a-pillar molding is also opening up. I'm going to caulk the crap out of it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#4 ·
Grommets/Seals

Thanks for the fast responses!

No, there are no seals! I didn't know there were supposed to be any. Are they still available? I'll start scanning the vendor web sites!

Now about that gap in the leading edge of the aluminum trim. Is it easy or difficult to get this trim out? Will I destroy the rubber that goes over the ends of the trim? Should I just use some clear caulk to seal it up?

#7 ·
Those seals are cheap price.
I installed them on my 560SL.
BUT, I found that the Soft Top was difficult to latch down with the
new seals - especially getting the soft top latch pin to go down enough
to latch down with the locking lever. Seems it was finicky to get the
latch pin to get into the hole deep enough that I could latch it.

So, I removed the seal for the passenger side.

Carl

#12 ·
The nylon seals went in with some mile encouragement. They are in there snugly! The hard top dropped on and latched nicely. I'll have to grab some clear silicone sealer today and close the gap in the header trim until I have time to replace. I'll start a separate thread on replacement because it will probably include replacing the A-pillar rubber seals and removing other trim around the windshield.

Thanks everyone!

Attachments

#11 ·
A friend just bought an 82 380SL and had the same problem. I have the same problem on my own '82 380SL. On both cars, water drips out of the left courtesy lamp.

Since my friend's windshield needed replacing, when the windshield was replaced and a new windshield gasket was installed, the problem ceased entirely. Somehow, water was passing under the gasket, migrated into and under the header and dripped out of the courtesy lamp.

Since the 380SL is in Phoenix, rain is only an issue a couple of time a year and I suspect that, when I have to replace my windshield - Arizona leads the nation in rocks smashing into windshields - the problem will disappear.

Perhaps you have same issue.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.