Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

muffler heat shield screws

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  JoeB 
#1 ·
so I am in the process of replacing the trunk pan on the 72 euro 350sl (pictures to follow)..good ol sponge of a trunk seal to thank...trying to find the correct screws to reattach the heat shield. they appear to be some kind of self tapping screw that screws into the four dimples of the new trunk pan. the illustrated picture shows two different screws by the shield..but only one is listed...called a combination bolt...part914031004301...but states only one required???? anyone know if this is the right one...or are perhaps what alternatives are you guys using.

thanks and regards,
Paul

#4 ·
There are several types of screws coarse sheetmetal screws in heavy gauge and the usual M5 and M6 threads with 8mm and 10mm heads.

Ideally you should buy a metric assortment and a bunch of panel screws. the Würth catalog has all of the part numbers and cross references also.

#5 ·
The fact that you are replacing a rotten trunk says to me that this 350SL probably won't be a concours car.

So why worry about MB sheet metal screws?

Find some SS screws that will FFF the job. (fit, form, function)

#6 ·
+1 Most Ace Hardware stores here in the states have a huge selection of screws, bolts, nuts and about everything you can think of hardware wise. Both SAE and metric. Just take an old one with you. Total cost will probably be under a dollar...two at the most.

#7 ·
unfortunately, not able to work the EPC on my computer...so have been using MB of South Atlanta's site (also have bought parts from them) which seems to be the same thing. Most of the standard sheetmetal screws have a pointy tip and it looks like these are dog tip or just plain flat. I was able to salvage one and it has an 8mm hex head so will try to match it. I had thought it was some kind of MB specific self taping screw but that might not be the case.

didn't think replacing a rotten trunk would disqualify it for a concourse:crybaby2: Jeeze and I thought the Porsche guys were tough. Honestly, I am replacing it with a factory MB piece and with the tools and welding equipment I have it will be very difficult to tell it was ever replaced.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.