Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

ABS unit removal advice.

662 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  television 
#1 ·
I seem to have scared a lot of local welders by asking them to repair the top of my right hand chassis rail.

The ABS unit will have to be removed (my car is an '85 UK RHD model) & apparently it's a nightmare to bleed. I thought of getting some blanking plugs or making up some short brake pipe with the ends crimped over so stop fluid loss. I have a Gunson EezeeBleed pressure bleeder for when it's all done. Any other ideas?

The radiator will also have to come out. I've seen a YouTube video of this job. My car doesn't have a/c which should make things easier but I was concerned about the transmission oil & power steering oil connections. Do you just plug the pipes & top up when it's all back together? The handbook doesn't mention the type or specification of the power steering fluid.

I did find a post & picture of the side of the chassis rail being cut open to do the repair but I can't seem to find it again. This would avoid having to strip stuff out but of course it spoils the original looks inside the wheel arch.

#2 ·
The systems are only harder on cars with ASR, even then just a connection from the master cylinder needed to 12volt. there is no other problem in bleeding the brakes with the Gunson that you have.

The gearbox cooler lines can be tapped up, and yes the steering pump lines do go all the way round the front, these can be removed and we can guide you through the re filling of the box, your Gunson can be used to prime the pump, if the size filler on the tank cap as on the brakes, not sure on this one as it could be different, but again no real problem.

It is worth removing what is needed to get access, as you rightly say it does need to look good.

#5 ·
yes the steering pump lines do go all the way round the front, these can be removed and we can guide you through the re filling of the box, your Gunson can be used to prime the pump, if the size filler on the tank cap as on the brakes, not sure on this one as it could be different, but again no real problem.
Further investigation reveals the power steering fluid is ATF?

I've worked on BMW steering systems & they weren't complicated. Is this MB being different & difficult just for the sake of it? :confused:

#3 ·
Hey Andy, you mentioned a YouTube video. I would be interested in viewing it.
Can you post the link to that video?

Thanks

Carl

#6 ·
The main point on these pumps is they must never be run dry, sure the pump will never be dry as such as is has some oil in it. the main point is when re fitting the pipe lines is that just a little ATF must be poured in at a time and the steering operated from lock to lock, then add some more. the reason is that any air bubbles can take a long time to come out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.