Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Getrag Manual Transmission 717.4 Problems

27K views 57 replies 16 participants last post by  nobby 
#1 ·
After 9.5 years and 50,000 plus miles.....I am starting to need to do some stuff over again.

I heard a nasty rattle at idle today...who knows how long that's been going on.

Rattle goes away when the clutch pedal is depressed.

Looks like I am pulling the trani again for another release and pilot bearing.

I guess I'll do that when I pull the propshaft for the u joint replacement.

I wonder how long that release bearing will last in that state???

#50 ·
Just my experience, was filling my 717.000 with the amount specified by Benz until I read on here and
a couple of other sites that wasn't enough. Checked with Getrag, Tremec and Richmond who all said
the same thing, fill it up to the fill hole. My 5th gear whine went away. "Fill till it spills"

#55 ·
Joe, This is a great thread. I'm finally putting engine and trans back in my 350SL after a couple years of rust repair and new paint on the body. It's the 4 speed manual you mentioned below. I read spec sheet 236.2 but, none of those are readily available in the US? Google search shows I can buy them from Russia, or a pallet of 1000 ltr bottles from Alibaba! Does anyone know if there is any fluid still available that's close to the Mobil ATF 200 or the Titan 10 that's called for in the spec sheet? Thanks.

#57 ·
Thanks Rudiger. The energy BP page put me on to Shell Donax TM, which isn't made anymore but the Shell distributor in Tampa looked it up and the replacement is Shell Spirax S1 TASA - which he didn't carry and google shows it is also much more available OCONUS than in the US. And most of the US sources only sell 5 gallons. That's more than I want to keep up with for now (it's a 2 liter fill).

But he confirmed TASA stands for Type A Suffix A as you mentioned. Turns out Castrol makes a TASA compliant product called Transmax High Mileage for Import Vehicles which is available almost everywhere - in quart bottles!

Still seems weird putting ATF in a manual gearbox. What came out of it looked like 90W gear oil but I don't know what PO did to the car before I got it. And don't want to argue with the MB Spec Sheet - Thanks again Joe for that link.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.