Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Another new 107 Owner

1K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Aussiemerc 
#1 ·
Hello,

I just wanted to introduce myself as newly minted 107 owner and say hello to everyone. If there are a a sizable number of New 107 Owners out there then I am one of them!

I had been staring at a rotating set of 380SLs parked in front of a local import shop for weeks before finally letting a friend talk me into buying one on the private market.

I've gathered a wealth of information from the forum over the last few weeks but only registered as a user today.

I've already started my laundry list of "issues" to deal with, most of which are well-covered here on the forum. So now I'm just doing some triage and deciding what is the most important to address.

Thanks for all the help that has already been unwittingly provided to me, folks!

#3 ·
Thanks! The chain guides are just about #1 on my list. Red = bad, right? I am assuming that it's due for a chain replacement. My understanding is that this vehicle has not had the double-chain retrofit.

The flex discs are not something that has been on my radar at all. Thanks for the tip.

The very first issue I've encountered, however, is the 6mm license plate bolts I bought are too long and won't fit the front plate. They don't seem to fit the rear plate either. Looks like I need new bolts!

#7 ·
chain guide color.

Thanks! The chain guides are just about #1 on my list. Red = bad, right? I am assuming that it's due for a chain replacement. My understanding is that this vehicle has not had the double-chain retrofit.
More dark brown than red. As soon as you get one of the valve covers off you'll know if you need the retrofit.

You can see the color (note it's been cleaned up a bit) sorry for the fuzzy foto

Attachments

#4 ·
License Plate fasteners

For future reference, the rear plate appears to take a short (10mm or 12mm) M5.

The front holder, which I assume to be aftermarket, I used the nuts from the 20MM M6 package but bought a shorter (12MM) screw to affix them to. 10MM would have been preferable, actually. Not much room there.

This is all because I live in Virginia which requires a front plate...sigh.

#5 ·
For future reference, the rear plate appears to take a short (10mm or 12mm) M5.

The front holder, which I assume to be aftermarket, I used the nuts from the 20MM M6 package but bought a shorter (12MM) screw to affix them to. 10MM would have been preferable, actually. Not much room there.

This is all because I live in Virginia which requires a front plate...sigh.
Washington requires a front plate too. I have not had a front plate on any of my dozens and dozens of cars in 40 plus years. Been stopped a few times for speeding etc. NEVER had anyone mention it. Never been stopped for missing front plate. Screw em. :mad:

#10 ·
Welcome, and chain question ...

Hi, welcome to the forum

on the timing chain, which is now also becoming a priority for me: can I remove the valve covers, take a peek, and close them up again ?

mM earlier experience there (Honda Motorcycles) is that the seals are usually stuck on both sides and break when disassembled ... liquid sealant ?

OJ

#11 ·
on the timing chain, which is now also becoming a priority for me: can I remove the valve covers, take a peek, and close them up again ?
mM earlier experience there (Honda Motorcycles) is that the seals are usually stuck on both sides and break when disassembled ... liquid sealant ?
OJ
Yes you can peek. Gaskets are heavy rubber type not cork or tube silica. Only four corner bolts. Retighten each to 3.0 Nm torque and you should be good to go. Mine were finger tight and still did not leak.

Both of my 750 Honda motorbikes leaked but from the o-rings around the oil passages leading up to the valve covers. It was a real annoying weak spot in an otherwise good design.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.