Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Who honestly has an "issue-free" Mercedes SL ???

2K views 23 replies 18 participants last post by  nobby 
#1 · (Edited)
I bet there are few who have a Mercedes SL that has no issues.
I was thinking about this and came up with this about my two 107SLs:

1983 380SL 44K miles issues:
- Floppy sunvisors
- AC freon leak
- stitching seam in drivers seat
- convertible top has duck tail
other than those 3, she's almost "issue free"

1986 560SL 185K miles issues:
- Floppy sunvisors
- cruise control inoperative
- alarm inoperative
- ABS system inoperative
- SRS light on
- windshield has small stone mark
- hard top needs repainting
- wood trim needs refinishing
- antenna switch quirky
and a lot of little nicks like glove box stobs, broken plastic on seat belt
but everything else works including AC.

I think "issue free" Mercedes SL's are as rare as a ******* with all his teeth.
Maybe we can generate some discussion to advise folks who are looking for
their first SL and for us who might be looking for another SL so
that we can have realistic expectations when shopping.

See less See more
#3 ·
A healthy attitude.

When I got it, my car had many "issues," some mechanical, some cosmetic. The main mechanical issues have been dealt with (and cost a pretty penny), and most of the main cosmetic ones have been, too. The result is a car that drives well, is dependable, looks nice. I'll deal with the remaining issues (AC, carpet, a few dings) if and when. In the meanwhile, I'll just enjoy it as it is.

#4 ·
"Issues" is a relative term. Certainly ANY older vehicle (and many newer ones) will have issues, depending on the owners expectations and standards. Just visit any model specific forums to get an earful.

Certainly over the years I've done a tolerable number of repairs, I've also not worried about certain cosmetic issues (seat wear etc). But the previous 107 (until it was hit by a careless driver) and the current one are well within usability standards. My wife uses it as a semi daily driver in the nicer months. As noted in another thread we just did a modest road trip and had a great ride.

#5 ·
An issue free "any classic car" is the one that was never built. Face it, they ALL have issues, they are "old" cars and they each need a little TLC.

That said, the mechanical care we give them is part of our enjoyment of owning and driving a classic, be it a Mercedes, Jaguar, Chevy, Packard, whatever!
-George-

#8 ·
I think we can say to perspective 107SL purchasers, don't think you are going
to find a Mercedes SL where everything works -- its impossible dream especially
if one is looking for a "bargain". Start your search looking for one and expect
to find some things wrong. Don't go with expectations that you can "knock off
thousands for everything this and that". Instead be reasonable with your expectations
and your offer to the seller. Then come to this forum and have fun learning how
to fix some of those "issues" to make your SL better than it was when you purchased it.

#9 ·
Floppy Sunvisors - Check
Convertible Top Ducktail - Check
Air out of Center Vents only - Check
Radio quit working - check
Cruise Control not working - check
Stitching in seats - check
Idle Control bad - check
Speedometer gears worn out - check
Blower motor bad - check
Vacuum leak - check
timing chain guides need replaced - check
Foggy spot on brand new convertible top window - check
top release cable won't operate - check

Fixed ALL that stuff! Wrote plenty of checks. Now I'm broke. Love My SL

#11 ·
You know, I pondered this question as posed by Carl, and after quite a bit of thinking, I may be the one who has an Sl with no issues. this is because of how I define an Issue!

Firstly, all things work on my car... everything! Was it always so...No. I have spent very little, and I have more to do if I want it "better"; however, it all works fine as is, so I'm in no hurry. This is why I say mine has no issues. I enjoy it each and every time I'm in it for a quick errand, to a short ride to church, to a local cruise-in, and even the odd/occasional long-ish trip.

Now, If I were to allow it:
The paint is needing a bit of work,
The subframe bushes need freshening,
The motor mounts need Freshening,
The wood could use a bit of polish to really shine,
The engine bay is not as clean as I like,
Its about time for guides (again)and maybe a chain,
Tires are due for changing, only because of age,
Carpet could use a bit of refreshing...

I think you get my point... These could be issues, but they aren't for me because they don't detract or prevent my enjoyment of the car.

If these are really issues, don't tell me! As Shakespeare said, "If ignorance is bliss, 'tis folly to be wise..."

#14 ·
One thing about the early 107s, is that there are fewer things that could stop working. Only thing I can think of on my car, is the A/C. But who needs that. 107s are cool to start with.

But, like Dugald, I am not too concerned with perfection. Just a nice old car to drive on sunny days.

#15 · (Edited)
The only Mercedes-Benz WITHOUT issues is the one sitting unsold on the dealers showroom floor.
:D:D:D

#16 ·
Since I took my car apart down to the subframes and rebuilt the car it has been remarkably trouble free. But then I drive her about 2000 miles a year max. Like MBGraham, I have a few issues such as the radio does not work, but who needs a radio, (the antenna works though!). The paint has bubbled in a few places and the paint shop isn't standing behind their work. The cable release for the soft/hard top rear catch has come undone and for the life of me I can't figure out how it goes back together (been meaning to go to the local MB shop and take pictures of a working release on another 107). I need to have my wood trim refinished (I know 73's didn't have the trim even as an option but the PO put it in and I like it). I just have to figure out how to take the trim off? New carpeting is on the horizon but none of this; excepting my new fuel problem, keeps me from enjoying the car and the looks I get when I drive it on a perfect convertible day.:thumbsup:

#21 ·
My 1983 380SL is definitely not issue free, but there are no major issues that render it un-drivable. In the past 10 years or so, I’ve put in a lot of $$$$ into fixing and restoring it because of its age. These just some minor things I need to do.
Definitely visors on mine
Door locks not working due to vacuum system
Cruise control not working which I believe it’s related to the vacuum system
A/C vents – Air flow ventilation is stuck between defrost and dash vents
Leaking PS which is a simple fix as per my trusted mechanic.
One thing I hate is having to frequently replace the exhaust hanger “O” rings. Seems like when I put a new one, a week later it’s broke or gone.

#22 ·
My 1983 380SL is definitely not issue free,
One thing I hate is having to frequently replace the exhaust hanger “O” rings. Seems like when I put a new one, a week later it’s broke or gone.

I too am plagued with broken rubber exhaust hangers on both
my 380SL and my 560SL. I think we need to source some that are
a little larger than what we have been using.

Carl

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.