Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

`86 560SL blinker indicators not working

7K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  Currumbin SL 
#1 ·
Blinkers and 4 ways work fine, but the indicators in the dash do not. All the other lights in the dash seem to work, any idea what to look for??
Thanks for any responses.

#5 ·
To remove the cluster you will need to remove the steering wheel. The big thing is to disconnect your car battery at least 20 minutes before you attempt to remove the airbag.

A quick search on Google will lead you to videos and instructions on how to do the wheel removal.

I did it two months ago.

Dwight

#7 ·
My first suspect would be the dashboard bulbs when everything else is working.

As can be seen from the attached wiring diagram, the hazard switch provides power to the flasher relay. I have replaced a few relays through the years, but recent testing of them shows that they all were working and I now belive the problem was bad contact in the rarely used hazard switch.

When removing the steering wheel, do not use the steering lock to hold it tight, damages the lock. Also be careful with the horn brushes that protrude from the steering column, they break easily. Ask me how I know.

Attachments

#8 ·
a bit of a resurrection

but my indicators have been faffing about. i thought I had fixed it when I removed all the lovely led bulbs i had fitted in the rear clusters, but the problem returned this morning. 1st, indicators and hazards working, but lhs dashboard bulb not flashing. 2nd, neither side indicators working, strangulated squawk from under cluster when operating switch. hazards fine. 3rd, indicators start again. 4th, indicators stop both sides while driving. 5th, indicators reappear, both sides, and lhs dash bulb. All within 30 minutes. 4th and 5th within 60 seconds.
The only common issue I can see is the good functioning of the hazards. should I be whipping that switch out and giving it a squirt of somat, or should I get myself a fresh one. or is it the hazard relay.:crying
(btw, the hazards flash on and off numerous times with the alarm being armed and disarmed, otherwise, i have only used them to see if the corners light up when the indicators don't work)

#9 ·
Did you just get the car and they are not working or have you had the car and they stopped working recently?

If you just got the car my first thought would be to have a look behind the cluster and see what you find. As you can see from the wiring diagram very nicely posted by @hchaugli the wires out to the indicators are a branch of the same wires up to the dash lights.

Guess could not hurt to cycle the hazard a few goes before pulling the cluster. You never know. Seems to be the cure for a number of lighting issues. Still think behind the cluster is the answer though.

Oh, and I'm sure you'll get the reminder from the mods, but do yourself a favour and fill in your profile so it shows the make and model of the car on the side with your user name. Makes it easy for others to chime in knowing at a glance what you are working on instead of reading through the post to see if you said. Saves you time in having to post over and over too.

Also the mods will ask that you put a bit better location than just USA. Only reason being is that if you at least list the city then you may find someone that is close to you, that may offer to help in person, have a specialized tool they will loan you for some job or other on the car or may have a piece you need to get the car up and running again.

Anyway, keep everyone posted with your progress and what you find.

#14 ·
and me too

I found this good response of Hchaugli's before i found several other good responses by him and others to similar thread problems.

hazard warning switch it must be. ran it through the mill and problem gone. I might even have done that unwittingly last week when i got the indicators to work then. I'll stay with the tungsten bulbs for a while though.

i can approach the MOT knowing I can fettle it if it comes up again, problem-wise.:smile

#15 ·
Test your battery, ...

I had the problem of the right indicator cluster light not working, tried new bulb and other culprits. It was a case of I'll work when I feel like it @ intermittent. I didn't worry about it as the front and rear orange indicators functioned as needed. Two weeks ago I had a slow starter/ low battery situation so after a jump start from a stranger got home and hooked up the kick arse battery charger. Not one of those auto shop pieces of 10 amp garbage either, no no no,a proper old school three stage kick in the crown jewels type. Anyway two things happened, 1) my battery is strong as ever and 2) the cluster light now works every single time.

John :devil

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.