Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Clogged fuel tank

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  redghost 
#1 ·
All

Has anyone had a clogged fuel tank that they had cleaned out? Not so bad that the car did not run, but clogged.

How was the drivability before / after?

#2 ·
Hello

I pulled my tank out, used a complete car of easy off oven cleaner, then power washed at the local car wash, used compressed air to dry it out...

I replaced the strainer all related hoses/filter seems to be fine. If the tank is very rusty inside it may be too far gone. This is on my 79 280SL which has been parked because of frame rust issues so I would sell the tank if you are interested.

Thanks

Al Taylor

#4 ·
FWIW..My '79 had a badly clogged strainer..crap in the tank.. and a FD that was partly clogged. The attempt to clean the tank satisfactorily was a waste of time. I ended up replacing the tank..strainer..filter..and having the FD rebuilt..NOW..It runs perfect..

#5 ·
If the opening to the swirl pot is clogged it will only run with over a 1/2 tank of gas, ( gas is above top of swirl pot). If not depending on high the strainer is clogged it will begin to run poorly as the fuel tries to work it's way thru the strainer. In any case the filter is probably partially clogged so fuel, return and tank pressure are all off making the pump run harder and possibly causing the relay to shut down or only work intermittently.

#6 ·
I can remember back in the day guys would fill the tank with a few inches of water and add a bunch of old nuts and bolts. Then shake the ever loving crap out of it. Don't remember if it worked or not but was fun to watch. Some radiator repair shops do gas tanks if that is the route you want to go.

#7 ·
POR 15 is great for getting a rusted fuel tank back into service. Clean the beejeezuz out of the interior with nuts, bolts, rocks and pressure wash with TSP solution. Then use the prep and etching products. Get the tank BONE dry. Arctic, tundra, BONE dry. Then spray the POR all over the interior. Light coats the first three sprays, then a little heavier. Top with oil resistant coating or leave as is. Put strainers and stuff back together and hook it up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.