Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Another BBS Thread

2K views 18 replies 7 participants last post by  Fonzi 
#1 ·
hey guys. i have been searching for wheels since acquiring my 1985 euro 280SL.

i have spoken with a few members, that have been so helpful. i am very familiar with bmw fitment, but no so much with these cars.

i have been looking at 16" rials, remotecs, and bbs rs. i have recently seen a set of bbs rs with these sizes:17x9 ET 19 front and 17x9.5 ET 13 rear on ebay.

17" BBs RS 199 5x112 Wheels Mercedes Benz VW Audi RARE Big Lips Old School | eBay

would this set up work? thanks so much in advance.

#2 ·
No doubt that is pushing the limit, but with careful tire choice and fender rolling, you can probably make it work, nothing major.

I'm planning on assembling a set of 9x16 et8 (2" lip) rears and 8.5x16 et15 (1.5" lip) fronts myself, and I know that won't be a problem (with the right tire choice).

#3 ·
PS:
I would check out some of the threads on the install of AMG oz 3-piece 10x17 et17-18 and 8.5x17 et17-18. (I can't ever remember if the front offset is 17 and 18 in back or vice versa.)

There's a thread called "how much tire can you stuff in there? - rears" and one for fronts too. I think it is in the egv107.

#12 ·
Don't overlook the BBS RA!

hey guys. i have been searching for wheels since acquiring my 1985 euro 280SL.
Not too long ago, I sold a set of five BBS RA wheels that would have been perfect for you. They didn't clear the brakes on my '88 560SL ... wish I had bothered to test the fitment before paying over a grand to have them refurbished and color-matched to my car! :banghead:

Here's the thread: http://www.benzworld.org/forums/sale-wanted-trade-giveaway/1561219-fs-five-bbs-ra-alloys-16x8.html

If you scour the VW Vortex classifieds (VW 5x112 and Audi 5x112), you should be able to find a set. Personally, I think the RA looks more "period correct" on an early R107 than the RS. Generally speaking, I think 16" seems to suit the car better than 17" as well.

Anyway, a 16x8" RA is definitely something to consider :thumbsup:

#13 ·
Anyway, a 16x8" RA is definitely something to consider :thumbsup:
That's why I don't have any RA listed for sale. I have decided I really like them and the really large rear step lips that 8x16 et11 ra have. I swapped a set if bbs rs023 to get lesser condition ra 8x16 et11. The guy I swapped with shortly after sold the rs023 for $1700.

#14 ·
Beware that the RA might be "soft" I sold some 16x7 and two of them had bends in them. I've heard from another person that RA bend easily. Just make sure they are straight before you plunk down a chunk of change.

#15 ·
Interesting. The 7x16 I have are in great shape, and they had huge 225-60-16 tires on them when I got them, perhaps why they were bend free. However, one of the 8x16 et11 I have has a bend in the barrel and two other I think have very minor "hops". I haven't done anything to them yet. I was impressed with how light they are, and they seem to me like a very well made wheel, at least when I was analyzing the 7x16 et23. The lip of the 8x16 et11 would likely be weaker than the 7" because pretty much all the extra width is in that relatively flat step lip. A steeper step would probably make for a stronger wheel.

The Rial weaves I have in 8x16 et11 have a smaller weave and steeper lip, which is quite angled, probably making for a much stronger lip. However, I believe they are cast and extremely heavy in my opinion. Another rial-made wheel is the Lorinser LO with a lip that is basically completely flat, and I believe the structure is not made for strength, just style. So you often see bent 8x16 et11. Fortunately the four 9" LOs I've owned have not been bent even though the lip is even wider.

#19 ·
Still searching...

You're not going to push me into the hard sell, are you?

I could really use some cash right now and can put together BBS RS, BBS RA, Rial Weaves, and even Lorinser LO right now (assuming the cash is there to pay for the 4th wheel). Heck, I'm broke enough right now I could possibly even part with the (never mounted) penta wheels.

Nothing there of any interest???

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.