Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Polishing chrome strip between carpet and door sill

5K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  Aussiemerc 
#1 ·
The ribbed chrome pieces under my doors (mostly driver side) are all scratched from years of scraping feet and as it is chromed steel presumably hard buffing won't make much difference? Would re-chroming fix it?

#2 ·
Had the same problem plus small dents. Removed the dents and went over everything with 0000 steel wool, looks like brushed stainless now. To answer your question, if done right, the plater will strip the pieces to bare metal and remove any imperfections befor replating. Can be expensive.

#3 ·
AFAIK, this is NOT chrome, it is highly polished stainless - which is not as hard as chrome, and that's why it scuffs.

It is possible to sand these and polish these, even pounding out the dents, and then rebuffing them with special stainless compound, I've done it, and I have a spare set to do this summer. But if you don't want to do all that work, I'd look at getting new ones, they aren't absolutely ridiculous from MB if you can get a discount.

#5 · (Edited)
I know with certainty that mine are stainless AND they attract a magnet very well! You won't find a lot of things that are thin plated with decorative, "triple plated" chrome, because when bent it will pop right off.

#7 · (Edited)
Let's clarify: the "ribbed piece" from the factory, which I think started this thread, is the stainless piece that holds down the carpet and has screws in it. One is much longer than the other.

The "sill pieces" are AFAIK aftermarket on W107's (they were factory on later cars). The stock cars have short rubber pieces glued down in this area. I have seen two metal sill styles, and I have both in my cars; one is brushed/polished stainless steel, flat, with "Mercedes Benz" stamped in it, leading me to think that it may really be an MB "accessory" or a real MB part for a later car. This, I believe, is what is pictured at the link in the above post. the other, which is definitely aftermarket, is entirely polished stainless and more coarsely ribbed than the stock carpet piece. Neither of these replace the carpet pieces but are an adjunct to them.

Between the two sill plates, I like the brushed/polished piece more. It gets scuffed, but it's very easy to return to like new with a 3M pad. The all-polished set is a big PITA.

#8 ·
Ribbed piece

Let's clarify: the "ribbed piece" from the factory, which I think started this thread, is the stainless piece that holds down the carpet and has screws in it. One is much longer than the other.

Yep, that's the one I'm referring to- I should have put up a pic to clarify. My driver side is longer. It shows a touch of rust at the screw holes but could be from the steel screws.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.