Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Idle Control

5K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  hchaugli 
#1 · (Edited)
I have a 1985 Mercedes 380 SL which failed its emission test and was using too much fuel. My mechanic told me I had a faulty Idle Control Module and so I bought a reconditioned one from the Netherlands.

When this was fitted it did not work. The mechanic borrowed a similar unit from another car, fitted it and it worked. The original unit on the car was a part number 002 545 33 32 and I bought the same part number from the Netherlands. The borrowed one was 002 545 40 32.

The man in the Netherlands says that the 40 32 has more power than the 33 32 and he suggests that the 33 32 does not belong to the throttle valve or there is something wrong with the throttle valve and it needs too much power. He thinks the 40 32 would also burn out eventually.

My problem is that I am British living in Spain, my mechanic is Spanish, and the reconditioning guy is Dutch. We all have different names for various parts are and we all talking different languages.

Can anyone explain how the idle control works and the names of the various components?

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

See less See more
#2 ·
Another member of this forum had a similar problem with a 500 euro, it had the 002 545 33 32, but did not regulate the idle. The original 500 was fitted with 002 545 40 32 and installing this module restored the idle.

I believe the US version of the 380 uses the 3332 which is used in connection with the emission control system.

You should get a copy of the electronic wiring diagram for your car, and access to the Electronic Parts Catalog (EPC) Daimler AG - Service & Parts net

Here is a wiring diagram for the Euro version:

Attachments

#6 ·
Throttle valve and throttle body are two different things. The throttle body is the throat of the assembly which passes air forward for mixture with fuel. In older cars with carburetion the throttle body was the lower third of the carburetor which mixed air with gasoline sprayed in by the jets up near the top.

My USA 85 380SL idle control module rsgulated idle speed by controlling the. Idle valve. If the unit does not function correctly you will notice high idle in the realm of 1800rpm with engine unloaded. Don't know where you sourced your rebuilt control module from however I would suggest Programa in Florida. They sell rebuilt mods on eBay and that's where I got mine. Works perfectly and the install is a cinch. If your car is a USA model don't start subbing euro components. You will not necessarily obtain the desired results. Everything is interconnected!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.