Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Keeping tires black

3K views 33 replies 23 participants last post by  redghost 
#1 ·
Just wondering what member like to use to keep their tires black (not shiny, just black). Anyone have any favorite products?

#5 ·
Someone recently recommended Back-to-Black.

#11 ·
One of my wheels with a good but old Dunlop was bent. I took it to my wheel shop for a repair, and I said I wanted the old tire back on when they were done. If they wouldn't mount the old tire, then just give me the wheel and tire and I'd have the tire mounted elsewhere. I was glad to see that they re-mounted the tire for me, but it appears they also bathed the tire in something that gave it a soft milky coating, as if it was a new tire.

Does anyone know what this milky coating was?

#20 ·
$2 tyre shine spray

it makes them shiny if over-applied but if you wipe it off it becomes satin.

Can be applied over porous dirt

lasts trough 3-4 rainy days at least before some graying reappears

it takes less than 1 minute for all the wheels.

#25 ·
I use a commercial citrus based cleaner, a dustpan brush to agitate, and then 4500psi 90ºC water to clean the brown filth off the tyre.
when dry, the tyre is the natural black. If I want to shine it up ( I don't like shiny) then I use meguiars quick detailer & a microfibre cloth followed by final inspection. Let soak for a couple of minutes then wipe excess with another microfibre cloth.

#26 ·
I used to overhaul used airport ground equipment at job#2. Some pretty big stuff and tires were / are expensive.

We would re-groove the tires (there is actually a tool for that!) and then wash them with shop thinner. The rags would be black, black.

Good as "new".

I used BF Goodrich Icex on my Hot Rod tires. Lasted forever. But it is spendy.

#30 ·
Two old school methods for getting blackwalls really black -

First is silicone - we used to use this on tires and under the hood for all rubber from stops to hoses, buff the excess and it helps appearance and longevity. Dad still uses, I think on his vehicles - tough to beat but tires should be clean prior to application.

Second is a mixture of water and sugar brushed on tires and left overnight, I have the ratio somewhere but again, an agent that will not harm rubber. (Likely from "Secrets of the Showcars" by Antonick - out of print but worth picking up for anyone really into detail)

Incidentally, for older WW tires try a little mineral spirits, clean off with a rag & rinse after around 5 minutes. It lifts top layer of grime and a small layer of the white wall but works well. Maybe not best for tires in long run but if used sparingly I don't think it will adversely affect them too badly.

#31 ·
Another vote for 303. Not the blackest-black for tires, but a very good protectant for tires, dash, etc.

Although I can't recall ever using it on tires, I've used Ultima Tire & Trim Guard Plus for a rubber dressing on some of my exterior rubber, and it may well give you the look you're after on your tires.

#32 ·
Just stumbled across this thread from late last year. Wanted to say that I have used 303 on the tires and they look great. Not shiny or gleaming, just deep rich black.

Also bought some of their soft top cleaner/protectant. Will use it when I put the soft top back up this spring and report back.

#34 ·
Glycerin helps to keep the rubber seals supple. Should be good for tires as well. No UV protection, but seems to feed the rubber, or return what has been lost over time to oxidation.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.