Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Smogging 026 (and other Grey') Cars In California

846 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Steve Guilford 
#1 ·
This topic has come up recently and given my past experience in this area I felt it would be good to post the following link:

Calif. BAR Referee Program

This page details the referee process in California w/ particular emphasis on grey market cars and vehicles with difficult to find or expensive emission control equipment.

In my case I took the 5.0 to a referee after the car was repainted and the BAR sticker was lost/destroyed. The ref. was mainly concerned that the car had catalytic converters and passed the tailpipe emissions test. My capped EGR valve and lack of a smog pump was not an issue.

A 'properly' tuned 026 engine will pass Calif. emissions with just a catalytic. It may be that the new cat. technology is more effective than what was originally available.

#2 ·
I noticed that there are two types of cats:
- older that convert HC and CO to CO2 (only)
- newer that also covert NOx

I think I have read that running lean can cause NOx (oxygen reacts with the abundant Nitrogen instead of fuel/HC). My state does not seem to test for NOx so I don't really know.

In the link above, it did not seem to list much as far as the limits of HC, CO, or NOx. Are they typically listed on the BAR sticker?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.