Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Radio and roof lights shut off randomly

675 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Doodles 
#1 ·
At random intervals, the radio and roof lights on my 86 560 SL stop working, but oddly enough, the glove box light continues to work when they are in the down mode. I have checked fuses and ground and don't really have any other ideas. The roof lights don't matter too much, I only point it out because they go out with the radio so it might be a clue as to what the problem is. Help?

#2 · (Edited)
I guess by the roof lights you mean the lamps in the windshield header?

Looking at the wiring diagram, I see nothing in common between the radio power supply on F1 and the courtesy light power supply on F12. I don't think the radio and lights have a common ground either that is exclusive to them only (but see post #3 below).

The glove box light is on F1 and the fact that it stays on when the radio quits tells me the problem is likely with the radio connections alone rather than the whole F1 circuit. I would check for loose connections on radio power and ground wires.

I think the light failure is coincidental. Double faults are not rare. Check the power and ground connections there too, and also for loose bulbs.

The common element may be shock or vibration that triggers the failures in loose connections.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.