Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

HELP...would you buy this 1977 350SL

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  SinSL 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I have lined up a 1977 350Sl to buy here in New Zealand and the lady has just sent me the warrant of fitness report sheet.

It's a good price - $12,000 NZD.

Only things noted are:

Surface rust developing on left hand A pillar
Surface corrosion on boot and underbody areas

If anyone out there could let me know what you think that would be great and much appreciated.

Naturally I really want to get it!!

Thank you for your help.

Alan

#2 ·
Here most of us are absolutely paranoid about rust - a little seen usually means a lot unseen. I would want to make sure the "surface rust" is truly just that.
Nevertheless, there are brave souls on this board who have resurrected total rust buckets and ended up with nice cars. I recall someone in NZ posting about rust repairs, which seem to be commonplace in your climate.

Good luck. Post pics and progress if you buy.

#3 · (Edited)
To put this in perspective to US readers, this would be around 9K. We PROBABLY could get a better 450SL than that condition at a lower price here, but your local situation might be different. Our cars were also loaded with automatic transmissions, A/C, power windows, climate control, etc, and were originally more expensive.

#4 ·
Morning Alan,

Pictures will tell a million words, Under body rust can be a nightmare if its not just surface.
These cars were pretty well under sealed so if there is rust there it means the under-seal is long gone which could lead to there being more rust then described.

Also it looks like an Ex UK car and we all know about there retarded Salt on the roads in winter...

12k is a lot for an SL with rust issues in my books.

I hope you don't mind me sharing the link to said car = Mercedes-Benz SL 350 1977 | Trade Me

Yes Our Sl's go for exuberant prices here....

Kind regards,
Reuben .S

#5 ·
Hi Reuben,

All good - appreciate the help :)

I went to have a look yesterday....interesting visit.

Firstly, the seller didn't use a hoist properly and dropped the hard top onto the car resulting in a big chip of paint.

Initial impression was great but took it for a spin and pulled over to inspect.

In my opinion, it has recently had a lot of touching up of paint done....not very well in some places.

The boot stank of white spirit (or something similar) and there was something amiss with the paint in and on there.

Under the bonnet, there has been recent painting also.

It had to be a no this time...few things not quite right.

I will keep on looking! :thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.