Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

rebuilt heads?

846 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  rowdie 
#1 ·
Hi all. I ran accross a set of rebuilt heads and wondering if they fit my car. I figured for this price(asking $300.) a backup set of heads might be a good idea. Problem is i cant nail down if these rebuilt heads fit my car. I have a 1985 380sl. All i know of the selling heads are a casting number. Seller tells me they fit 380sl 1982-1986? The casting numbers on the selling heads are, 116 016 18 01. I was told i needed to pull my current heads and match the casting numbers?

Any help ia appreciated.
Rick

#2 · (Edited)
AFAIK, the only difference MIGHT be the size of the valves and the style of the valve guides. After 82 or so, the valve guides changed to the newer style and the seals were changed too. Of course, they could have had all the valve guides changed to the new style on the rebuilts if they changed all the guides. 81's, and particularly Euro's MAY have larger diameter valves. A clue on if they are Euro at all: if the air pump ports are undrilled, it's probably a Euro (I plugged mine).

At $300, I'd buy them, BUT ONLY assuming that you have the paperwork showing what was actually done by a reputable shop. I paid more than twice that just for the rebuild alone, I needed only one valve(provided by me) but I went with 16 all new guides/seals (which I provided, my parts not included in the $600) as well as the cleaning, pressure testing, valve seat and valve cutting (NOT GRINDING), shaving (AS LITTLE AS POSSIBLE), etc. This is actually a low price for that level of service. A "shlock" valve job might include cleaning, a valve grinding, and new seals only. You do not want to risk the very considerable time/ labor in removal/installation on an unknown set unless it is your labor and you are on a tight budget.

From what I know on this subject, a GOOD valve job will last at least as long as the heads lasted when they were new and maybe even longer. A shlocky one might LOOK ok and start out OK, but will never seal as well or last as long. If someone shaved them out of habit and sloppiness/force of habit/a little more "pep" (which shops who don't know this engine well might do), this might cause a world of problems with the intake manifold resealing and getting the cam timing right.

PS: I'd tell you my casting numbers, but I'm not sure that will help and also, I ground them off before polishing them!

#4 ·
So there is such a thing as a bad head job. Another myth busted. :crybaby2:

Looked at an M117 head. On the left one the casting number is on the surface between the #5 and #6 exhaust ports. I imagine they could be read with a mirror without pulling the head.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.