Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Shipping To Canada

825 views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  cottagstan 
#1 ·
I just shipped an inexpensive item to a fellow in Canada. In the US it fit into a flat-rate box for $16.85. To go to Canada it cost $68.

I recall reading here a means of avoiding that premium but I could never find it. How do you search for that?

So c'mon Canadians, tell me how you get stuff shipped from the USA without paying 4X the going rate?

#3 · (Edited)
Weatherman, what you likely recall is that the USPS is much cheaper for cross-border packages than FedEx or UPS, who charge a brokerage fee to clear customs.
Still, postal rates get ridiculous whenever mail leaves the USA. I ran into this when I bought a manual from a fellow on PeachParts; $10 postage became $30 as soon as the package had to cross the border.
Makes me wonder how Amazon can ship books for free ....

I "solved" the problem by having it drop-shipped to Michigan where I picked it up myself. Not really cost-effective.

#4 · (Edited)
I NEVER use couriers when buying stuff from USA.

USPS Priority Mail parcel usually costs about US$30.00 and entry into Canada is simple - In most cases postman delivers to our house with no additional charges (depends on value)

USPS have a cheaper method (First Class), but it has no tracking, so not good if item has significant value.

Your box might have been going Express?

Rates for Canada:
International Price Calculator

http://ircalc.usps.com/MailServices...ingDate=8/24/2013&MailingTime=8:00 AM&dv=100#

Priority Mail International®
Max. length 79", max. length plus girth 108", 6 - 10 business days, at Post Office $32.95, On-line $30.97

#5 ·
I just shipped an inexpensive item to a fellow in Canada. In the US it fit into a flat-rate box for $16.85. To go to Canada it cost $68.

I recall reading here a means of avoiding that premium but I could never find it. How do you search for that?

So c'mon Canadians, tell me how you get stuff shipped from the USA without paying 4X the going rate?

Which flatrate box?

Also, if it's valued under $60(?) declare it a gift on the USPS form.

#7 ·
Not lead bricks, used wargames, battles from the age of Napoleon. I'm selling off my collection, anybody here want a mint copy of La Bataille de la Moscowa?

If it happens again that I have to ship to Canada, I am going to refer back to this thread. Thanks, guys.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.