Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  Texas500SL 
#1 ·
Hello all. I just wanted to introduce myself to the forum.

I recently bought a 1983 380 SL from a neighbor who had planned to fix it up but never found the time.

The car was running okay but had been sitting for some time, so I brought it in for the basics (oil, filters, etc.) just to see where we stood. When I picked it up today, I was happy to discover that the car had regained a good deal of pep and power. Still a little sluggish at low speed acceleration, but no problems getting it to...well, let's just say fast.

Due to some leaks, the rugs will have to be replaced and some of the switches fixed, but otherwise, I am pleased with my purchase so far.

After I picked up the car, I decided to take her our for a long spin. With the windows rolled down (hard top still on), I came to the top of a hill with a view over ocean, bay and sand and I had that moment that most on the board must have had: I fell in love with driving the car.

Anyway, that's my story so far. Be sure to check in for later installments when I discover all the problems with my car and how much it will cost me to fix them. :)

See less See more
#3 ·
Welcome to the forum.

In the dead of winter I always look into my over full garage and think: " What the fuck am I keeping this car for?"

Then summer rolls around....and I remember. "Oh ya."

Post up some pics or everyone will ignore you. :):)

#7 ·
Welcome!

It is a great feeling. I know what you are talking about. I absolutely loved driving my 1973 450sl. The removable hard top transforms the car and I always enjoyed riding with the hard top on. I hope to some day build a hard top for my convertible SLC. I also have yet to get there with the convertible SLC as far as enjoying the handling. I haven't done all the suspension stuff yet. I will tell you that once you do all the suspension stuff, you will love the car that much more. Hard cornering is a blast.

My videos are horrible using a handheld phone camera to share the joy of my rides, but its the best I've got. Here are two I remember wishing I had someone in the car to enjoy the ride with me... So I took videos to share.

http://youtu.be/6qHQOlTsh8U

http://youtu.be/pnJ6Sm3B-s8

Don't forget to share!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#8 ·
. Still a little sluggish at low speed acceleration, but no problems getting it to...well, let's just say fast.
:)
Does your shifter have the "B" at the bottom? If so, perhaps using that will make you feel different about the slow starts.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.