Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Exhaust Note

4K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  arbitrarymobster 
#1 ·
As my 82 500SL is loosening up and driving like a dream, I have often wondered why (my) car doesnt have that "Roadster" exhaust growl.

I havent heard any others to really compare. I do NOT want a drone, popping exhaust, just something that says "Oh yeah".

Note: I am completely deaf in my left ear and my judgement on "sound" isnt really reliable.

#3 ·
The stock MB exhaust is focused on keeping the engine quiet. There are various aftermarket exhausts that will give you more sound. I only have experience with Bosal. Many do not like the quality, citing rust as an issue. I bought mine lightly used, installed on the car 5 years ago, and the present owner is still happy with it.

The sound was mildly more discernible, and was actually quite evocative of a V8 under load and certain deceleration conditions. It would also be quiet under normal driving conditions. I thought it a good compromise.

#5 ·
Exhaust decision to make

Just inherited an 81 380 sl, has an 1985 Motor in it. Exhaust in horrible condition (leaks at every joint/weld) and forward CAT removed. Local exhaust guy says won't pass inspection like that. Don't want to spend $1000.00 on it - any suggestions. It is not leaking at the manifold connections, but everywhere after that, has been hacked into numerous times from appearance.

Will post some pics and formally introduce myself to the 107 guys soon.

81 380 SL
122K on odometer
85 engine with 150K on it (so says the mechanic)

#6 ·
When I bought my 560, the only thing holding up the rear section of the exhaust was a coat hangar. I could tell it's Bosal exhaust had been dragged at some point. So I put on the chain reinforced hangers, etc. but I didn't like the way it hung down insight and I wanted more of an exhaust note. Nothing loud, you want to be able to hear music, talk, etc.

If you look in this area, there is a nice square section that the muffler could be tucked into. So I took my 560 to a local shop and we built out a new set of pipes to this area. I then auditioned a two in, two out Magnaflow, Flowmaster and two different sets of individual glass packs. I was surprised. I tried each multiple times. I actually settled on two individual short - larger diameter glass packs, with individual chrome tips. Everything is set up to use the same hangers and they cannot be seen. They tuck up in this square area beneath the trunk perfectly. They have a very nice note/burble. Not intrusive at all. I was really surprised. There is no issue of being loud with normal driving. But if you accelerate hard, it will let you know there is a V8 under the hood. I love it.

#9 · (Edited)
Ok here are some pictures of my exhaust system. I have to say, I never thought I would use glass packs... but they fit the requirements I was looking for. I didn't want to see some big muffler hanging down, etc. In the first picture you can see no muffler. You can see the exhaust pipes angle up more sharply behind the rear axle. In the second picture you can see the glass packs, etc. Looking at this picture, I need to get under there and do some cleaning. Anyway, sound wise, I love it. Not intrusive, but when you give it the gas, it lets you know there is a V8 under the hood. I'm still somewhat embarrassed to say I have glass packs on my 560...

Attachments

#12 · (Edited)
I just went through this decision this past fall. I went with a Magnaflow dual in dual out muffler which is basically two glasspacks wrapped together. I am pleased with the sound.

Here is a video comparison: http://youtu.be/Ae_pxIcr-LI

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.