Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

O.T. ML 320 yea or neah ?

3K views 31 replies 16 participants last post by  Dmart007 
#1 ·
Hi guys ! As most of you know, I have more Mercedes than sense. We just bought SWMBO a SLK which she loves ! The flip side to that coin is that we hate driving SL's in inclement weather. The other slight negative is the two passenger thing. 90 % of the time it's fine because we detest carting anyone else around and sometimes each other ! So to make a longer story longer, we need a all weather vehicle. We don't need any more cars, so a SUV seems to be a logical choice. I took all Dgosh's anguish into account and eliminated Rovers :D. Mission criteria includes: Comfort, All weather capability (mostly rain) style and reliability. I though seriously about a Ford Escape. About the right size and good mileage, plus a million were built so parts are plentiful. As I looked around I found early 2000's in the $4-6k range.
Then I looked at 1999-2003 or so Mercedes ML320's. Similar price range. Now we all know that none of us need 4 Mercedes Benz products in the garage, but hey, I don't live under a bridge either. (yet!)
We test drove a really nice 1999 at a local dealer. 115 k miles for $ 5,500. I was impressed with the mass of the vehicle as well as the appointments. This particular unit had a sunroof issue on the panoramic sunroof and suspension creaks as well as an inoperative low range. So I think this one is off the list, but perhaps I don't know all I need to know.
Of all the forums, the breadth of knowledge on the 107 site seems to be most vast.
Other than giving me a swift kick in the nuts so I get back on the 107 project, who has experience with the ML (W163) class SUV?

See less See more
#32 ·
I can only speak for my self, here... I purchased a 2003 ML 320 with 100k miles on it and it's in amazing condition. The previous owner has only driven the car on average 10,000 mi. per year and lived in the OC and according to the service records, she took amazing care of this car only taking it to the Mercedes dealership for servicing on schedule religiously. Happy is an understatement when I describe how me and my wife feel about this vehicle.

From what I have learned since having this car is, a German car is going to take care of you if you take care of it... Service regularly, Super premium gas and keep it clean! I have had no issues and love this car thus far!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.