Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Scored at the "Scrap Yard"

6K views 54 replies 17 participants last post by  redghost 
#1 ·
I was tired of working on the high idle problem so I went to a scrap yard down in Vero Beach and this is what I got.... For $30.00! Table Furniture Coffee table Metal
They are off a 70's 450 SLC, not sure of the exact year because the date of manufacturing was not on the tag). Going back over there to pick some more stuff up on Friday, radiator and the hood(hood is for a project I have in mind) radiator looks to be in fantastic shape and they'll sell me both for $60.00. Let me know if you're looking for something off this and I'll see if it's available.

See less See more
#10 ·
Plastic guides for heating controls et. al

A few things I could use for my 72

hood-mounted wiper windshield spray nozzle (1)
the plastic slider guides that go around the heater controls (if unbroken)
a multiswitch that works reliably (stays cocked in left and right)

If you find any of that, I'll pay "top dollar" for it :)

#15 ·
To me....that's what a scrap yard represented in the "old" days.

Walk in, wander around, pick some stuff off the car of your choice and go into the dingy, greasy office and watch the guy with the cigar in his mouth do some mental math before pretty much giving it away.

After all....scrap yards were just that. They bought and sold metals.......everything else was a bonus.

NOW...........these yards are all interconnected with computers and they usually charge 50% of a new piece.

Hard to find a true deal anymore.

Damn internet.

#23 ·
You need to visit a PICKnPULL. Just substitute the guy with the cigar for a 20 year old girl with a price list and zero car knowledge. You tell her what you have, she looks on her list and gives you a price. Just bought an instrument cluster from a 116, same part # as the 107 for $37.50. Of course thats their price for any cluster. Wouldn't want to confuse the workers.

#18 ·
Brentkhack, I really admire you for getting your daughter one of these 107's. My daughters both want one now and I am on the hunt for another one. After I get my 500sl finished, I am giving the 380sl to my youngest daughter, Ashley, and I am looking for a 450sl for my oldest, Brittany. They don't want any of the sedans that I have, but my wife hates driving the convertibles, so her daily driver is the "89" 560 SEL, which is fine by me!

#20 ·
Nope, she's 17 and works in the family business as well as going to High School. So guess who'll be paying for the upkeep in parts.... Mom! Lol! As always, I will do the labor, but at least it's an excuse to get under the hood of one of these without the wife bitching at me!

#28 ·
Universeman, it stays up for the right hand turn and down for the left hand turn. This car was in pretty decent shape, other than it was rear ended and came into the scrap yard on 9-24-2012. I pulled the alternator and on the way home I stopped at Autozone and had them test it and it tested fine. The radiator/oil cooler showed no signs of leaking at all. When I diconnected the lines, clean radiator fluid, black oil, and transmission fluid came pouring out of every opening it should have.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.