Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Slightly new look

4K views 47 replies 12 participants last post by  daryn 
#1 ·
Well I relubed the headlamp wiper mechanism and got the headlamp wipers working. Also put new rubber blades on the used wiper arms I bought. I also bought an AMG front spoiler and installed that. A trick if you have the headlamp wiper system and want to install a front spoiler be sure to install the passanger side first as that is where the headlamp wiper mechanism comes out and causes some interference with the spoiler. I also had the teardrop turn signals so I had to really work to get everything fitted correctly and looking nice. Nice to get this finished after over a year looking at a mess of parts.

Next up is recaro seat quick rehab and seat base adapter.

Attachments

See less See more
#34 ·
colour

Hi I have a 1980 280 SLC and will be changing it to the origal colour Manganease browm metalic yours looks very similer in colour
the paint code for mine 480, can you tell me what code your paint is
the interior is cream velour 935, can you post a picture of your seats for me
Thanks
Brian Green

#37 ·
Brian my cars color is milan brown db404 I think is the color code number.

It looks like these side skirts install where the lower chrome trim goes, the long one. I don't really like that piece of chrome much so this will be a nice way to tidy up the side of the car. I think I'm going to paint the side skirts undercoat color, I really hate to paint them but blue metallic ain't gonna work on my car. I figure I can always get an AMG rear valence if I get a hankering for one, the hard part is finding the front spoiler and slc specific side skirts. Wasn't planning on Dagoing the car up but looks like it is going that way.

Too bad to hear about problem buying stuff on this forum, we all take a risk buying something from a stranger sight unseen, but that doesn't excuse thievery. Always nice to deal with someone local to be honest, met some weird and interesting people. I just sold a set of BBS mesh rims to someone and the guy sounded like a wheel hoarder of old school mesh rims.

#39 ·
I know you (Daryn) say that you don't really like the rear skirts, but my opinion is that the sides and rear go together, making a line around the car. I think the AMG front is ok without the sides and back though.

So you should just sell those side skirts to me. :)

I was interested in 48hp's SLC kit, but it was a little expensive for me. So I passed. I have been thinking that the 5.0 convertible SLC is a good car to wonky all up with the AMG junk since the car is so far from stock already. Then again the 280slc 4-speed is not a bad car to mess up either. I have the rial weaves (just got a couple sets of rial center caps feom germany for those and some other members this week) which I have been thinking are the right wheels for the 280slc, but also have the Taiwan Pentas. (The BBS RS certainly aren't right for the SLC in my recent opinion.) If i find some recaros for the 280slc it might be more tempting to AMG it up. Then back on the flip side, I still think I can get AMG 5.0 heads, so maybe I could mod up the 5.0 convertible pretty well. Add all that to the hard top idea, and I've got some heavy mental masturbation, eh? :)

So let me know if you change your mind on those skirts.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#42 ·
skirts

Hi Fonzi the skirts you talk about are they the ones around the wheel arch
i have taken these off my 280 SLC 2 have scraches and dents as i would like to keep original, i will give them to you, and you pay the postage let me know i will see how much postage is

#40 ·
I just sit back, watch and wait for parts so doing stuff piecemeal doesn't bother me much. If you are going to do this hobby on a "budget" you end up having to wait but spend the money when you find the right parts for the right price. Luckily much of the stuff that I buy is so damned expensive or difficult to ship my offer is usually accepted as it saves the people trouble. I am selling some welding equipment and a guy asks for shipping to michegan so I drag this 50lb box all over the damn place to get quotes, then I get no response at all. I mean at least tell me to piss off.

My car is going to be a mild amg clone, have Rials, Recaros, 2/3AMG body kit, all I need is a steering wheel/adapter and the rubber spoiler. Keeping an eye out for 2 tires and the Rials are going on.

Attachments

#41 ·
Very nice. And you have the correct rial center caps. This is the best I've been able to do so far, but isn't bad in my opinion for $32 for a set of four.

Yellow Font Auto part Emblem Symbol

Before getting those 8, the Volvo cap was the only thing I could find to fit the rials.

I missed out on DrGrillz gray recaros, but I think he was asking something like $1500-$2000 (plus shipping) which is a hefty "investment" for a $3250 car that needs much more crucial work. They were sold locally the weekend I bought the 280slc, perhaps a very good thing for my wallet, maybe even the deciding factor in keeping the 280slc bone-stock, Well, maybe with some rials on it. :) the AMG front is still tempting since its currently a very similar color to the car, and it might be a good project to dig in and assure I don't have any problematic rust up there while doing the project.

Your 280slc is my 280slc's inspiration. :)

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#44 ·
I test fitted the side skirts yesterday and think I might keep an eye out for the amg rear valence to complete the look. The side skirt look a bit out of place without the rear valence so I'll just have to wait for a valence to come up for sale locally. I need to do a bit of glass repair on the side skirts also as some of the mounting holes were damaged when the pop rivets were removed.

Anyone here know if you use the bottom chrome trim with the AMG side skirts or do you just remove the trim and bondo over the holes? Kind of hard to explain.

Thanks for the help folks, I'll keep y'all posted.

#47 ·
Question. On my 500SL I was able to remove the wiper arm with no problem. On the 280SL it is impossible to get a wrench on the 10MM nut. The bumper is too far in. Wondering which is normal.
Of course....why would MB design it so that the bumper has to come off for that???

Not like they haven't made things hard before!

#48 · (Edited)
Rowdie I don't know, the wiper arm nuts are a pain to get at, and there ain't much clearance between the wiper arm and bumper. An offset wrench might help or take out the headlamp. I'm kind of used to using strong will and imagination to get at hard bolts.

Thanks for that info about the chrome trim, I think I'll just try to clean it up and reinstall it then. My lower trim looks like it took 35years of abuse, oh wait it did.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.