Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

78 450sl starter problem

5K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  nobby 
#1 ·
I removed the starter,(2inch hole saw behind the starter bolt worked fine),marked the solenoid wires, r&r'ed the starter drive, installed the starter, and tested. still have the nasty noise one out of 4 times, instead of every time. If I reversed the solenoid wires by mistake, would it still operate? If the starter bushings are bad, would it still grind? Flywheel looks ok. any thoughts?

#2 · (Edited)
If you reversed the wires to solenoid, what would happen? looks from wiring diagram like it would blow fuse when you turn key because 12v would go to ground. Check wiring diagram.

Did you rotate the flywheel and check the teeth all the way round? Sometimes just one section is worn.

There are shims between the starter and the housing that limit how far the gears engage. On my car the shop that did it forgot to put the shim back in - But it works fine - probably engages a little more fully.

How did you repair the starter drive (I presume this means whatever Bosch call the Bendix equivalent). Sounds like either it is still not fully engaging or the flywheel has some bad spots.

I bought a reman Bosch for about $99. Works great.

Thought this might be of interest!

#3 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.