Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Polishing Stainless Steel

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  strife2 
#1 ·
Several months ago I tried polishing my badly scratched front bumper cover with a Stainless Steel Sink & Cookware Scratch Remover made by Siege Chemical Co. of Phoenix, AZ. The results were a great improvement over what I started with, but left the finish somewhat short of what I wanted. The scratches were mostly removed, but I couldn't get the high shine required.
I recently found a product at Ace Hardware, Premium Buffing Composition for Stainless Steel made by Dico Products. I applied this with a fabric buffing wheel on my 3/8 power drill, and I was pleasantly surprised with the results. I won't say the bumper cover is now factory perfect, but for a 24 year old part, I think it came out really well. I hope this info might be useful to anyone with the same problem. :thumbsup:

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
That "green" polish is, I believe, made of a harder abrasive than ordinary metal polishing abrasives. A lot of companies make it. If you buy it at Lowes, Ace, et cetera, it's very expensive at retail. I like Brightworks or Caswell plating. They sell this stuff by the pound.

If you have a bench buffer, you can actually SAND with 800+ grit wetordri and get out some very, very serious scratches. It's hard to to as great job without removing the bumper cover, which is tricky - but once you do that, you can get at the leading edge, which gets pocked from road dirt/debris.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.