Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Fuel pump assembly leak

2K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  dgosh28 
#1 ·
I noticed gas dripping from the fuel pump area the other day. Took a while to figure out where the leak was coming from because someone along the way (1986 560SL 129,000 miles) undercoated everything on the rear end of the chassis. After pulling the assembly, cleaning it up as well as possible, it turned out to be the hose from the filter to the fuel line. Under the sheath. Replaced it along with a new filter (who knows when that was last changed) and bolted everything back up. No leak from any of the connections but there now appears to be a wetness around the fuel pumps near the electrical connections. I wasn't able to get the undercoating out from there but it's definitely not the fuel line fittings on the pumps. Could it be possible that the pumps are now leaking from around the crimped edges?

#4 ·
When I changed the fuel filter earlier this year the new fuel filter itself was leaking somewhere on the end that connects to the hard line banjo fittings. I may have had a faulty filter, or I may have bashed it through my own clumsiness.

I put in a new filter, (a Bosch rather than a Mann), was more careful in my installation, and that stopped the leak.

#5 ·
I did have the pump itself start leaking, and had to replace it, so don't absolutely rule out that possibility.

Sort of a "Murphy's Law" type of thing. When someone says "There's no way <whatever> can happen", it WILL happen.:eek: Sort of like a curse, or something.

Scott

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.