Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

OT - Other Collector Car Interests

7K views 41 replies 20 participants last post by  ic-racer 
#1 ·
Hopefully this is an interesting thread. As much as we love our new 107 we have other car interests. I am really partial, maybe even torn between CCCA era (1925 - 1948, but really '30 - '41) Full Classics and European cars in the postwar era. The 107 sits alone right now, but cars on the shortlist include an MG "T" series, Bentley "R type, W113 MB, or any number of CCCA eligible cars. The search is half the fun, no?

While I don't have another current car or project to share, I thought it might be interesting to know what other projects you may be working on, drive and show, have stashed away for later, or are just enthusiastic about.

Also would be especially interested in anyone's feedback on the cars on my shortlist if you are a past or present owner. :)

#4 ·
I love my Saabs. On my 6th one. Nothing major planned for my '08 95 Aero, but a MapTun ECU upgrade, intake and exhaust would sure be a fun project.

One thing I will do with the Saab this summer is clay bar it and paint the brake calipers.

The Acura is my first "appliance car." I really don't like it, so it's a true daily driver.

#5 ·
Porsche

My next project,when I get the funds will be a wide body 1978 porsche911 930 turbo with big whale tail , they produce a very healthy 213 kw rear wheel punch , they are docile to drive with enormous reserves of performance on tap .

Do I have others that like this german grunt .

Den Downunder.

ps like them in factory black.:thumbsup:

#6 ·
There are cars I really admire, and cars I could actually get. Well, not lately anyway! Fortunately, I really think the MB 126 is a significant automobile, perhaps the ultimate example of a high quality sedan built prior to the rampant inclusion of high tech gadgetry. For that reason, I'm ok with putting a bit more into my car than I would for a typical daily driver.

I do own a pretty raggedy Model T Ford. That is largely how I like it- It gets touched up now and then with whatever black spray paint is on sale at the local hardware store. It only had front fenders, but I recently added a pair of oak running boards, a donation from a friend. If anyone knows of a set of rear fenders (year and condition largely unimportant!) I'd like to hear about it!

#16 · (Edited)
Thanks all - I think this is pretty interesting.

Jeff, here is a link to the CCCA website, for more info on the club and cars:

http://www.classiccarclub.org/

Chief, I will ask my friend Travis if he has any fenders - but I discussed a Model T chassis with him recently and I think he was a little high on that, he doesn't give anything away as they say... ;) How is your brother's search going? Did he ever get with Tom L?

Can't seem to view gs' Mustang on this PC, will check it out tonight!

Had to chuckle on the comment about Acura's being an appliance car. We drove Hondas for around 10 - 12 years when we were first married, very well built, durable, and totally boring. Finally where I can promise myself to never drive an "applicance car" again!! :D

#21 ·
Boy, do I miss yards like that! I used to explore just looking at the carcasses, figuring out what it might take to save a particular car. In the rural neighborhood I grew up in, there was a Model B truck, 2 Model A's and a '32 LaSalle all within easy walking distance. I'm sure there were more I didn't know about, hidden inside closed barns.

OWS, I told my brother about Tom, not sure where he is in the process as he has a lot going on, but I know he'll wind up with something interesting!

Some of the vehicles I wish I still owned. These are even the same color!

Attachments

#22 ·
Roncallo, cool pics but that can't be CT, right? You don't know what is lurking underneath but I would expect a lot more surface RUST evident from a NE yard...

You really don't see too many '36 Ford Coupes in fields anymore - a cool car for sure, surprising the rodders and restorers are not battling over that one - yard owner must be pricing it to fund his retirement rather than as an ambitous project! :D

#24 ·
Roncallo's junkyard pic reminded me of a gentleman a mile up the road who ran a late model salvage yard.

He also had about 5 acres of classic and antique models. When he had to retire, almost 30 years ago, he sold those models off, crushing those with no parts value.

He had two collectible "pride and joys". One was his Lincoln Zephyr V12 and the other a large collection of antique toy cars and trucks.

#29 ·
Same here. I have owned a 1974.5 MGB GT and 1979 MGB. The rust on the Merc is child's play!

Lately, I have had a real hankering for 80's sports cars. I almost pulled the trigger on a 1986 Mercury Capri 5.0 ASC McLaren EuroCoupe, #16 of 47 made. But I passed on it. Still a bit disappointed that I did. All the benefits of a 5.0 Mustang (cheap, plentiful parts and easy to fix) but without looking exactly like a Mustang.

I'd also love to own a Corvette C4 Grand Sport. That's at the top of my investment list right now. I had a chance to buy one 3 years ago in 8/10 condition for 10 grand, and now the same condition cars are selling in the mid 20's. Great investment.

#32 ·
MG TD--

MG TD for sale | Hemmings Motor News

And you thought the prices were down on the 107's....

Late 70's, early 80's 911

And of course, one of the greatest cars ever made:

1959 Eldorado.com

In Hampton Green--just like the little old man "up the block" that drove his every day for 27 years, until his son took it away from him on his 92nd birthday. He died two years later and we all thought he would have made 100 if hadn't lost his baby.

#36 · (Edited)
Robert, I have been tracking "T" series pricing pretty closely lately and agree, prices have dropped off for TD and even TF series. My favorite, but least "roadable" (hey, that's what the 107 is for though, right?) is the "TC" - still pricey for a prime example but such a pure design.

Proves anything can happen in the market. 25 years ago I would not believe a clean TD would ever sell for less than an MGA or comparable to an MGB, for that matter. I think roadability is a huge factor here, though. If I get a "T" series it will be used mainly for shows, early Sunday morning drives and admiring it as it just sits there. I know from experience drivers today are less tolorant of an antique car's limitations on the road - that is where the SL shines...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.