Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Seeking Experience from Knowledgeable Others - 560SL Seat Repair

9K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  rewillia 
#1 · (Edited)
Forum Members, particularly 107' owners;

I am seeking input from knowledgeable others/owners who may have experience dealing with, addressing a problem I have (as I am uncertain of what the final or best solution may be);

Problem: Driver's side reclining seat-back has extensive play in its locked up-right static position, e.g. likely 2" of play/movement. Seat reclining feature does operate and seat-back (upright section of 2-pc seat) will tilt forward to permit rear/cargo area access when the level is pullled. [[ when it its upright locked position, I can grasp the top of the seat-back and "wobble" forward/back 2-3 inches which I suspect is abnormal and excessive play ]] further comments: seat bottom is firm, in place, seat bottom adjustment works fine, and whatever position of recline I set stays....its only the distance forward when I push on the seat back that the distance of travel seems greater than what it should be coupled with a lessor degree of movement side to side ]] {when you place you're hand on the top of the seat or headrest to check movement...that is when I denote what I think is excessive slack (2-3" forward, 1 - 2" side to side). The passenger seat does not have the same degree of travel which leads me to think that maybe some bushings are worn in my driver's seat where the top/backrest section and lower seat bottom sections hinge together....

Hope I described the condition well enough.

I also dropped the car off today at my chosen upholstery shop wherein he agreed that the play appears to be excessive but we won't know exactly what the root cause is until the leather/foam and horsehair pads are removed later this week. I do want to correct the problem, repair the seat hinge/reclining mechanism while having the upholstery work done. Not sure what parts I will likely need, e.g. just some replacement bushings or, a entirely new reclining mechanism (hope its just bushings), and assume I can still purchase OE replacement parts. This is where those of you with similar experience come in....

If you've had similar experience, please share with me what you encountered as needing repair/replacement and where you obtained the parts from.

Thanks. I greatly appreciate this forum and its members who have been so helpful with their advice and the sharing of "lessons learned".

See less See more
#2 ·
I wonder if screw(s) are broken in the seat frame (hard to believe, thay are hardened, but possible); another possibility is that the welded-on nuts for those screws broke their welds.

#5 · (Edited)
Please complete your profile (veh. type, your location, etc.). It will help others here help you....as to you're question....

The cause of excessive play was the seat-back hinge assy was bypassing the adjustable seat pivot pin which is located in the lower seat bottom section of the hinge. The pins serve as the stop for the seat back and can be adjusted.

By removing the seats (which you'll have to do to reupholster them anyway), you'll be able to see if that is the problem and if it is, can be easily fixed by either adjusting the gap distance of the pin(s) or replacing them.

In my case, the rounded heads/shoulders of the pins showed some wear due to the bypassing so I changed them all and that fixed the problem. Still available from MB, for about $9 for the pin, and $4 for the chase nut and tension washers.

#8 ·
I have the same problem with my driver seat, When I lift the lever to recline the driver seat forward, it seems to jam near the center console area. Anyone got any photos on the fix, or removal of the seat?
are you referring to the seat back or bottom?, if back, it's likely the same issue, that the seat-back portion on the inward seat hinge is bypassing the stop (pivot pin) and when tilting forward it is bumping against the backside of the pin. Will need to pull the seat to inspect/repair it.

#11 ·
I seem to have the same problem with excessive play of the back rest seat part. I have changed tho lower pins/screws that locks the back rest and is little bit better now but still a lot of play. Did you find what was the problem?

This one those annoying problems without a right solution. Although I have checked it with few upholsters without any success.

#13 ·
This is an interesting discussion.
Anyone have a photo of those seat back stop pins?

#15 ·
I have custom made seat back pins slightly larger in diameter so the hooks now close very tightly and firm. But I still have quite a lot of play forward/backwards and swinging left/right. The upholster opened the back seat and confirmed that the structure/frame is OK and there is no clue what is creating the play in back seat...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.