107 AUDIO THREAD - Page 13 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#121 (permalink) Old 12-07-2012, 06:54 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Jan 2011
Vehicle: Present Stable = '09 CLS 550, '88 560SL ,'06 LR3 HSE, '14 GMC Sierra Denali
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Rewillia's Install - 88 560SL; Pioneer Stage 4 + Focal

More photos;

Head Unit: Pioneer Stage 4 - Model DEX-P99RS 8-channel pre-out w/remote control

Head Unit & GPS (Pioneer Stage 4 8-channel model DEX-P99RS w/remote control. I am also installing a Garmin GPS Model 3490LMT.

As stated earlier in my threads, my initial desire was to install an aftermarket CD-Receiver (aka Head Unit) that would blend with the OE aesthetics of the 560SL dash and its OE components. I considered both Macintosh or Nakamichi units only to find that they are no longer manufactured or marketed here in the USA and then opted to go with the Pioneer Stage 4 Unit.

The IPOD and USB interface leads have been fed into the glove box (I cut a a 3/4 hole in the side of the glove box liner and used a grommet for a clean finish); Also I do hae the replacement Burlwood dash strips to match my refinished console panels and hopefully will get those in before closing up the dash after this audio system installation.

Portable GPS installation:

After sometime now and considering we live in a major metropolitan city (Houston), I decided to install a GPS. In doing so, I did not want wires hanging about (i.e. from cigar lighter socket) and the GPS stuck to the windshield.

I chose a Garmin 3490LMT GPS which is a very thin unit. (shown temp. sitting on top of the dash). Using a special cradle mount available from Mountguys. I plan to install it immediately below the Head Unit, on the face of the vertical wooden console panel above the climate control module/buttons. Once installed it will not interfere with use/control of the climate control buttons or temp. setting dial.

Also use of the special cradle mount will not require me to drill any holes in the panel as I will "slave" the re-circulation switch (conceal it behind the panel) such that I never use it anyway. Power to the GPS will come from a secondary cigarette lighter power adapter (also purchased from Mountguys) that will likewise be concealed behind the panel. www.mountguys.com

Aftermarket Installations

I also wanted to mention that I do support those owners who choose to maintain their original Becker radio/audio system in their 107's while in my case, I wanted improved audio performance that will add to our pleasure of driving our 107.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Close Up Stage 4 Head Unit.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	483494   Click image for larger version

Name:	DEX-P99RS Stage 4 and GPS.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	483495   Click image for larger version

Name:	Close Up TNK Tweeter.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	483496   Click image for larger version

Name:	10 Inch Lo Profile Subwoofer and custom built fiberglass enclosure.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	483497  

Last edited by rewillia; 12-11-2012 at 03:24 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#122 (permalink) Old 12-07-2012, 07:35 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Vehicle: Present Stable = '09 CLS 550, '88 560SL ,'06 LR3 HSE, '14 GMC Sierra Denali
Lifetime Premium Member
R/C 107 Aftermarket Audio System - For Sale

Slightly used Alpine/Boston Acoustics system for sale.; will fit a R/C 107.

I have posted for sale in the Classifieds section of the Benzworld forum, the Alpine & Boston Acoustics system I removed. and which was installed by a PO. It is offerred to any BW registered member for $150 + shipping and I will include a 90-day back-buy guarantee as the equipment is in good condition and works fine. I just got the "itch" and wanted to upgrade my 107.

Shipping TBD, will be what ever the rate is for economy/ground USPS or UPS.

Here is the link; to the classified posting

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/sale...ml#post5554293
Attached Images

Last edited by rewillia; 12-11-2012 at 03:27 AM.
#123 (permalink) Old 12-08-2012, 05:40 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jun 2012
Vehicle: 1984 380 SL, 2000 Saturn LS, '92 Virago 750
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Very nice job! When you replace the shelf-seat does it affect the sound much? I've been thinking of locating speakers exactly where you have, but I'm a bit nervous about cutting holes in the original sides. I may just build triangular boxes and set them in each corner. This of course is presuming I'm ever capable of working on my car again...

What if the hokey pokey IS what it's all about?
#124 (permalink) Old 12-08-2012, 05:48 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Lifetime Premium Member
Yeibiche,

Not sure I understand you're question. Are you referring to the top of the rear cargo deck panel (horizontal) where I installed the 6.75" woofers or the L&R side (vertical) panels in the rear cargo/rear seat area where I installed the tweeters? I'd put it this way;

side panels - as you can see from other contributor's postings in the 107-Audio thread (before mine), space in the vertical side panels is very restricted other than in the lower section (side panel) to the rear where it intersects with the rear carpeted panel (below soft top storage bay). Installing speakers is these side panels is next to impossible unless one wants to cut a bunch of metal. I have seen a few i.e. 5" round speakers installed in the rear location I refer to and as I recall those were by 107 owners have the rear jump seat. I would expect that with such installations they likely produce reasonably good sound. In your case, I would suggest you pull the side panel and inspect for yourself (very easy to do. 3-screws + the chrome top latch cover).

rear cargo deck - my 107 does not have a rear jump seat, and thus it was easy to install (speakers) and the sound is good (much better than relying only on the front OE 4" dash mounted alone). In fact the PO of my 107 had installed 6 X 9's back there in part with a audio system upgrade, and again they worked relatively well only that the rear 6x9's speakers were predominate over the front 4" speakers.

Last edited by rewillia; 12-11-2012 at 03:36 AM.
#125 (permalink) Old 12-08-2012, 12:15 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Lifetime Premium Member
Rewillia's Install - 88 560SL; Pioneer Stage 4 + Focal

More photos with comments on installation;

Trunk mounted amplifiers and 5-farad capacitor;

Note: routing of all wiring was done through 1.125" (1-1/8" holes) drilled into the lower section of fuel tank cover assy and installed 1-1/8" grommets to prevent wire chafing. The panel must be removed to do this type of install as the fuel tank is immediately behind it!

In my installation, and because the panel itself is contoured with the highest point in the center, I used strips of 3/4" MDF with a 15 degree angle cuts placed horizontally across the top and close to the bottom to create a "flat" mounting surface on the outside of the panel for my Amps and Caps be secured to and also to further enable spacing of the components away from the surface of the panel itself.

As to space for wiring bundles,, there is sufficient clearance/space behind the panel at both the top and bottom (when the panel is in place) for wiring to lay safely away from the fuel cell/tank).

I also enclosed all wiring (speaker wire and RCA cabling) behind the panel using flexible conduit as an additional safeguard. Note: re-installing the panel is one of the last/final steps in completing your install as you want to ensure all wiring is correctly laid out, in place and to prevent chafing.

107 AUDIO THREAD-trunk-components-amps-capacitor.jpg

107 AUDIO THREAD-wiring-view-2.jpg

107 AUDIO THREAD-amp-wiring-view.jpg

Note: the reason the capacitor is positioned at a lower height than the amps is to permit the battery compartment door/cover to open fully.

Overall, IMO, this type of install (vs mounting to the floor of the trunk) presents a nice clean installation and finish that does not obstruct the utility of the trunk space.

Lots of wire - so if your contemplating an install similar to this one - be sure to factor in the amount/length of each wire pull plus some reserve on each. Also don't forget that most CD-Recievers/Head Units have a separate remote wire the runs to the amp(s) and serves to signal the power on/off to the amp(s) such that when you run wire (i.e. speaker wire/RCAs) you need to pull an additional wire (i.e. 16 AWG) from the head unit to the trunk for the purpose. (in my case I forgot it, and had to repeat a pull only after having put all my panels, kick plates, etc. back in which I had to R&R once again.

Wire Pulls - also noteworthy: the Battery power cable in the 560SL along with some other OE wiring is run on the passenger side such that you'll want to run your audio system wires (i.e. speaker wires/RCA cables) down and along the driver side. This is due to both space limitations and to avoid interference from the battery power cable).

Last edited by rewillia; 12-11-2012 at 04:00 AM.
#126 (permalink) Old 12-08-2012, 12:44 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Lifetime Premium Member
Rewillia's Install - 88 560SL - Photos of Installation

More photos and comments on installation;

Front 4" Speaker installation

In this installation, I used the Focal K2 series 4" low profile component speakers which include both 4" mid-range low-profile woofers and the 1.88" TNK Tweeters + crossover (Focal K2 series model no. 100KRS). The low profile 4" Focal speaker (albeit a close fit), does fit into the OE speaker placement location in the dash without requiring any cutting.

I also installed foam XTC baffles (as shown) behind the 4" dash speakers to enhance performance.

107 AUDIO THREAD-dsc00955.jpg

107 AUDIO THREAD-dsc00957.jpg

107 AUDIO THREAD-dsc00962.jpg

Last edited by rewillia; 12-11-2012 at 04:06 AM.
#127 (permalink) Old 12-08-2012, 12:50 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Lifetime Premium Member
Rewillia's Install - 88 560SL - Photos of Installation

Front speaker installation (continued)

Right-Front Speaker Installation;

107 AUDIO THREAD-rt-focal-bafffle.jpg

107 AUDIO THREAD-rt-focal-4-place.jpg

107 AUDIO THREAD-r-foca-installaed.jpg
#128 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 06:13 AM
Bob's yer uncle!

Date registered: Feb 2005
Vehicle: The PIG -'83 280 SL 5 speed
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Again....quality install and quality equipment, Rewilla.

If you don't mind, what will the final cost of YOUR system be (labour excluded).

Good bench mark for anyone wishing for this under the old Xmas tree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky raccoon View Post
The Pig is you and you are the Pig.
http://www.benzypalooza.com/index.htm
#129 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 08:00 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Lifetime Premium Member
Nobby,

I was not going to post this info (on cost of the system) simply because it was solely a personal choice of mine and I could afford to do it. That stated, we all know that there is an endless array of car audio components and equipment available today to meet anyone's budget.

I trust that other's will respect my individual right to spend what I want and not rant over the amount I have invested in this audio system, or start double guessing my logic or rationale for such an expenditure.

Therefore, as you asked, here is the breakdown;

REWillia '88 560SL Car Audio Installation - Summary of Costs.pdf
#130 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 09:38 AM
yka
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Dec 2008
Vehicle: US spec MB560SL 1986, Audi A4 2pcs, Ford Taunus 1964 17M and 2.0 1975
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to yka
Excellent installation work and super components! Good job!

The Focal dash speaker set is a bit less expensive here in Europe:

Yka

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Roadster Forums > R/C107 SL/SLC Class