Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Remove Fuel Tank to Damper Hose

10K views 42 replies 12 participants last post by  nobby 
#1 ·
The hose connecting the fuel tank to the fuel damper on my '74 fell apart and leaked out my entire tank of fuel.

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to remove the hose. I tried using a 19mm crows foot and a couple 3/8" extensions but the hose is screwed in way too tight and the crows foot strips off.

Might it work if I cut the hose and use a deep 19mm socket?

#3 ·
Yep, been there, done that. best to use a bona fide "Line Wrench" style crow's foot when breaking those bad boys loose, bear in mind you may find yourself breaking the fuel tank strainer loose instead. place that in a vise and proceed with line removal and don't lite up anything of course.

#23 ·
I did mine a few months ago. Used a Harbor Freight flare nut socket on extensions. Don't rule out an overnight soak with Kroil just because the part is living in gas. And if the 'proper' metric socket is a touch too small sometimes an SAE will fit just right. Final thought.. we tend to apply increasing/steady torque in such situations when sharp bumping works much better.. assuming you have the space.

#25 ·
Back home for the summer, and just spent another couple hours in vain trying to get the damn hose fitting off with no success.

It's in there incredibly tight, and I've thoroughly stripped the fitting (using a snap-on crows foot, may I add). I also tried cutting right below the 19mm part with a dremel (so I could get socket access), but it's so tight up there I wasn't able to cut all the way around.

At this point I'm just going to try to pull the whole strainer assembly, but the (45mm?) bolt is partially covered by rubber/metal insulation. Any clue how to best remove some of that insulation?

It's beautiful weather and I want to get the car back on the road. If there's anyone local who might be able to help, I'd be happy to throw a Benjamin your way.

#26 ·
You try Kroil? And the basin wrench (esp. now that you've rounded off the nut)? Given the sparks a Dremel cutoff bit can throw I'd be hesitant (i.e. scared $#@!less) to try that approach even if you think the gas tank is bone dry. There's a purpose-made 45mm socket for that strainer nut from what I've read here. Use plenty of Kroil a day or three beforehand.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.