BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Mar 2009
Vehicle: 1987 560SL, black over palomino, 60K miles
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
May sell or trade my 560. Need asking value

Hi all. I am thinking about selling or trading in my 87 560sl and was hoping some of you may be able to offer your opinions on what a realistic asking price would be for it. It is 040 black over palomino. Interior is very good to nearly excellent condition. Exterior has a few very minor chips. Clean car fax though at some time in its distant past has had some repaint on the right side. In the last 4 years I have replaced the soft top (GAHH), sub frame bushings, tie rods, center link, idler arm bushings, steering coupler, shocks (blistein heavy duty), injectors and seals, timing chain and rails, some ac parts and all basic maintainence items (plugs and wires, all filters and fluids). Also new brakes all around(Oem Mercedes) . It could stand a buff and polish but overall looks very good. Less than 64 k miles. Everything works as it should. I have records going back the last 20 years. Car has been a Georgia and Florida car all it's life and has 0 rust. Could stand a new rear muffler at some time but not loud or rattling. A few of you on the board have seen the car and might chime in.

I know the prices on these cars are all over the place but am wondering what is realistic. I know I will never recover my cost but need a new daily driver car and this doesn't really fit the bill.

Thanks for any input and I expect some flaming over selling it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 02-26-2012, 10:43 AM
GOM(grumpy ol' moderator)

Date registered: Jun 2008
Vehicle: 1986 560SL: '84 500SL
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
It sounds like a well maintained 560. I really hate to put a number on it but you can always start high like 15K or more. You can always come down but you can't go up.

Buyers that are familiar with the 107 can factor in the work that has been done. Those not familiar will need to have it explained.
#3 (permalink) Old 02-26-2012, 11:08 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jun 2010
Vehicle: 70&72_250c 71_250sold 3x72-73_450sl1sold1parts 78_450slc5.0ragtop 79_280sl_sold 81_280slc_4spdstic
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Thanks for taking me for a ride in your car last year. It is obvious that you enjoy owning and maintaining your 107. I'd hate to see you sell it, especially to someone who will not care for it the way you have. I think your car is so meticulously maintained that you should hold out for $15K or more. Cheap daily drivers are easy to come by. I think i may understand your reasons for selling, but you might find that your 560 would hold up and keep it's value as well as almost any $15k car out there. I suggest first selling any extra parts you have, and buying a cheap daily driver. If the cheap dd breaks down, youve got a really nice backup.

Last edited by Fonzi; 02-26-2012 at 03:03 PM.
#4 (permalink) Old 02-26-2012, 11:23 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jan 2007
Vehicle: 1968 250SL; 1970 280SE 3.5 Cabriolet (EURO Version); 1987 560SL
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I agree with the others! It's almost scary that my 1987 560SL spend all of it's life in FL and GA; similar condition and work done. Mine has 90k and I thought I'd probably get 12K (but have over 20k invested easily). I decided not to sell it as I get to upset every time I consider it. Plus the market is poor at this time. It's just having three classics, plus, the other two can be triple or more in prices for parts, etc! Luckily I have a three car garage!!!

If you decide to list it on Ebay, I would spare no expense on high resolution pictures; long description of history and maintenance with an emphasis on your sincere interest in the car and MB in general. This is what captures my attention when viewing cars of interest!

All the best and keep us posted!

Regards,

JP Mose
#5 (permalink) Old 02-26-2012, 02:36 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jul 2010
Vehicle: 2005 E320 Wagon, 1987 560SL, 1983 380SL, 2008 QX56, 2004 BMW R1150GS Adventure
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I can also speak to this car - it is just as described, or nicer. Wish I hadn't just bought another 560 or I would be in line.....
#6 (permalink) Old 02-26-2012, 04:39 PM
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Thanks guys. Kind of what I expected on the pricing. I don't think I have seen one sell for 15k in a while but that is about what I expected to start asking. Still not sure about selling it. Don't really need the money as much as space to put a newer car. Only have a 2 car garage and already have 4 cars. Wife gets one side so I can only put up one car. I would hate to let this one sit outside, even under a cover. I have my eye on a low mileage 06 E55, but will most likely go with a Lexus LS as I need a car that will not require much upkeep. Thought about making the SL my daily driver, and I guess I could, though being as old as it is it will require fairly constant work. I always thought I would keep this one forever just to putt around on weekends, but priorities change sometimes. Thought about giving it to my daughter but she doesn't like driving it. Prefers her Honda Civic. Go figure! Maybe I will just get rid of the RV and truck and buy a beater higher end Jap car and leave it outside. Maybe the prices will creep up on these old SLs and it will make more sense selling it later. Just thinking out loud here but again, thanks for the help.
#7 (permalink) Old 02-26-2012, 05:02 PM
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Fonzi, your suggestion of selling any parts I have first is interesting, missed that on my first read. Now that you mention it, I do have a few dashboards, new console in box, interior and trim parts, mechanical stuff ect. I probably could make a few bucks on them. What made you think of me selling them "first"? Is there something you are looking for or were you just remembering my large pile of "junk" with a smile? It seems that I became a collector of parts after I bought this car. I suspected if I kept it long enough I would need some of them, and some are hard to come by. I figured that if I sold the car then I would start getting rid of the parts. I enjoyed meeting you when you came by. If you are ever in the area come by again.
#8 (permalink) Old 02-26-2012, 05:03 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Feb 2012
FWIW

I just bought a 1989 560SL, Anthracite/Palamino. The vehicle has 67K on the clock, has never had any paintwork, spent most of it's life in FL, brand new rubber, flawless interior. I have not found a single mark on the paint and it drives out strong. Although I don't have all the books and records stamped, there was a pile of routine maintenance done which I have receipts.

I just had a really good MB mechanic do an inspection and only needed front brakes and an air filter. I bought the car from a dealer in Minnesota where the snowbird traded it in.

I said all of that to say this...with freight to deliver I have just @ $ 13K in the car....I believe this economy is slugging down and with gas hitting near the $ 4.-5 mark....this market will be soft for awhile. I had actually planned on re-selling this car this summer, and was going to start out @ $ 15K . .

Remember, there is an ass for every seat...you just have to find the right buyer...

Good Luck.

Last edited by db51; 02-26-2012 at 06:34 PM.
#9 (permalink) Old 02-26-2012, 08:21 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2008
Vehicle: 82 380SL 96 SL500
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemtj View Post
Fonzi, your suggestion of selling any parts I have first is interesting, missed that on my first read. Now that you mention it, I do have a few dashboards, new console in box, interior and trim parts, mechanical stuff ect. I probably could make a few bucks on them. What made you think of me selling them "first"?
If you have parts the prospective buyer will ask and you'll end up including them for a pittance. If you've already sold them, then you have no additional parts to include in the deal.

Alan
If it doesn't fit, force it.
If it breaks, it needed replacing anyhow.
#10 (permalink) Old 02-26-2012, 08:40 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jan 2012
Vehicle: '86 560SL, '52 Packard Mayfair, '27 Pontiac
I just checked out Daniel Schmitt (St. Louis) and they have SOLD 24 low mileage 560SL's from $20K-$27K.
Don't sell yourself too cheap...the values are going up since they're reaching "historical" status....25 years....Obama gas prices or not.

Last edited by 41_packard; 02-26-2012 at 08:42 PM.

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Roadster Forums > R/C107 SL/SLC Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.