Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

No start, no click, no turn over ... no idea

4K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  nobby 
#1 ·
Hello,

Hoping for some hints where to looks.

My 1981 380SL has been in the renovation mode for the past few months. Been several weeks since it was last started, but it was a regular starting car with no issues at that time.

Since the last time it was running, I've taken out the instrument panel and had the speedo repair; also I removed the linkage and replaced the bushings. The interior is all out right now (seats, carpets) plus I changed all shocks, drag link.

So yesterday I wanted to start it up to get it running and work on the no-heat issue. Plugged in the instrument panel and turn the ignition. The fuel gauge reacts, the buzzer sounds, the clock ticks, but the engine does not turn over. Nothing, no solenoid click, no starter engaging; just nothing.

Thought maybe I have the linkage in wrong and it might be in gear, but I removed the linkage and manually clicked the transmission "bolt" connector through all the gear positions and tried starting each time; still nothing. As far as I figured, two spots (park and neutral) should have allowed it to start.

Put jumper cables on the battery from my other car, still nothing, so not a battery issue.

How/where is no-start wired for transmission "in gear" check?

Checked the fuses; all good.

Thoughts what to look at now?

Appreciate comments.

Cheers,
Eric

See less See more
#2 ·
IS the NSS not on the linkage? I'd suggest reconsult the manual, double-check the linkage repair, then try the linkage thru several positions until something changes. Perhaps after farther review, you'll find the issue, but I suspect the NSS is the culprit.

nss=neutral safety switch

#3 ·
#6 ·
In case anyone is curious about how the neutral safety switch works, as a result of working through my no-start issue I ended up removing the neutral safety switch.

I wanted to see how it ticked internally so I drilled out the rivets. Once I could see how the internals made contact I figured out which plug points on the electrical harness to connect to close the circuit.

Once I connected the two plug points the car started right up. Got the new part on order now.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.