'82 380sl - Intermittent loss of power when the gas pedal is depressed - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011, 06:15 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jul 2011
Vehicle: 1982 380SL
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Unhappy '82 380sl - Intermittent loss of power when the gas pedal is depressed

Hello All, a plea for advice/ help.

My beloved brown 1982 380sl has developed an intermittent problem over the past few days.

Half the time, the car is operating exceptionally well, _except_, when it is in park, the idle speed is around 1700rpm. I've been living with the idle problem for a month or so, trying to figure it out but not considering it urgent, until...

The other day, the car started to spend the other half of the time with some ver strange symptoms. The idle speed in park is down to what I believe is normal (800-1000rpm), but when the car is in gear, and especially moving slowly, if I press the gas pedal more than a tiny bit, the car stops accelerating, and power drops off completely. It stays like this for a few seconds, shudders a bit, then power picks back up.

Pressing the pedal all the way to the kickdown switch will get the car to shift gears and develop some power. The problem is less pronounced when the car is moving at speed than it is when it is just starting to move. Revving the engine when in park can get it to start behaving more normally (most of the time).

I've been searching around, but am a bit stumped. Anyone seen this before/ have any advice?

The most confounding thing about the whole problem is that it is intermittent, and half the time the car runs beautifully, so I'm reluctant to just take it to the shop, as an intermittent problem to me says that one specific thing is working or not working part of the time, and that sounds like something I can fix myself with a little help and advice.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011, 07:39 PM
Bob's yer uncle!

Date registered: Feb 2005
Vehicle: '83 280 SL 5 speed - The PIG
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reversity View Post

My beloved brown 1982 380sl has developed an intermittent problem over the past few days.

Half the time, the car is operating exceptionally well, _except_, when it is in park, the idle speed is around 1700rpm. I've been living with the idle problem for a month or so, trying to figure it out but not considering it urgent, until...

The other day, the car started to spend the other half of the time with some ver strange symptoms. The idle speed in park is down to what I believe is normal (800-1000rpm), but when the car is in gear, and especially moving slowly, if I press the gas pedal more than a tiny bit, the car stops accelerating, and power drops off completely. It stays like this for a few seconds, shudders a bit, then power picks back up.

Pressing the pedal all the way to the kickdown switch will get the car to shift gears and develop some power. The problem is less pronounced when the car is moving at speed than it is when it is just starting to move. Revving the engine when in park can get it to start behaving more normally (most of the time).

I've been searching around, but am a bit stumped. Anyone seen this before/ have any advice?

The most confounding thing about the whole problem is that it is intermittent, and half the time the car runs beautifully, so I'm reluctant to just take it to the shop, as an intermittent problem to me says that one specific thing is working or not working part of the time, and that sounds like something I can fix myself with a little help and advice.

Thanks in advance.
What is the "economy" or vacuum gauge doing while your symptoms are happening?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky raccoon View Post
The Pig is you and you are the Pig.
#3 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011, 07:51 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Should have said - the economy/vacuum gauge is functioning properly, going into the red when the engine is revving, staying to the left when there is no power, oil pressure appears to be ok most of the time but drops with the power, oil temp around 90 when the engine is warm.

Thanks!
#4 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011, 08:36 PM
One of the BW Old Guard

Date registered: Aug 2004
Vehicle: 1988 560Sl
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
I just suffered thru a part-time OVP relay... Have a look at the schematics on that buggar and see all that interfaces with it. Might be worth a look?

Quote:

Thanks in advance.

RM Smith www.rmsmithco.com

Where is it again that we are going... And why are we in a handbasket?
#5 (permalink) Old 10-16-2011, 05:40 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Replacement OVP relay ordered, fingers crossed. Anyone have any other suggestions?
#6 (permalink) Old 10-16-2011, 08:20 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Apr 2010
Vehicle: '81 380SLC, '89 735i, '91 850i
Quote:
Replacement OVP relay ordered, fingers crossed. Anyone have any other suggestions?
I just started working on my '81 SLC. I got it back (for the 3rd time, frustrated) from my transmisison guy and my climate control and other vacuum systems don't work.

From the MB manuals, It looks like there is an ignition advance vacuum sub-system and quite a bit of temperature dependent systems..

I'd bet your problem is vacuum related.

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Roadster Forums > R/C107 SL/SLC Class