Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

The "I drove the 107 today!" thread.

263K views 3K replies 288 participants last post by  roncallo 
#1 ·
It seems that it's becoming more difficult to get it out on the road these days and I find that I need to document the occasion. A far cry from those heady days when I first got it and anything over 40 degrees F meant WDTD driving. Some of you may feel the same. Please feel free to post in this thread anytime you drive your 107, even if it was a trip to the local "Dunkin Horton's". The more mundane, the better, in my opinion.

Actually, I drove it yesterday instead of today but that's not important.

A couple of landlord errands and then off to hit the western leg of my thriftshop habit. Hot, sweaty and fun fun fun! Bonus points to me for not putting the top up at any of the stops! I always lock it though as I think it's a deterrent.

#2 ·
Now that my AC is working again thanks to a recharge of R12, I drove the 560SL to work today [soft top up] and I have a number of errands to do today as well. I look forward to motoring around down without passing out from the heat. I likely won't put the top down again until the temp drops below 90...which might be October the way things are going.

PS: Thank God for covered parking at work.....it makes the whole day a lot more tolerable. ;)

#12 ·
Yup, it sure is hot!

I took my 560sl to work today. I'm a part time ranger on a local golf course. When I left work to return home, the outside temp guage read 110 deg. Now, even if it was 10 deg off, it still was damn hot! I use the car almost daily. The more it runs, the better it goes. now with 131,000 miles, it still amazes me!

#17 ·
^^^

It looks like I ingested a bowling ball. Those jeans are on the way out, almost as quickly as they came, BTW. Far too baggy.

More to the point, yesterday it was in the upper 90's so I was wearing... You know, seersucker jacket, light colored chino's, blue oxford cloth button down, loafers with no tassles. Looked rich?

#2,657 ·
It's even been stinking hot here in Canada. For us that is 30C (feels like 40).

I have been using my 107. I am working on my W123 and keep running out of something or having to to go to NAPA or parts store to pick up items I ordered. Nice to at least give the 107 some use.

Today I parked next to another convertible. It was absolutely mint and quite stunning. I didn't know what it was. It just said GS Stage 1. I couldn't see my phone screen in sun, so no picture. But this looks exactly the same:

#20 ·
I just bought my all time dream car. A 1989 560SL silver smoke with only 60,000 miles! I drove it to the shop today to have the AC repaired. I have been planning on buying this car for 3 years, and I have already had it looked over by a local MB guy.
Anyway, I made the deal last week, and have been nervous about it since. I drove it to Tybee Island in the spring, and was very satisfied, but this morning, it was about 65 degrees, and the car was actually mine! I looked like a mule eating briars!
When I got to the shop, the mechanics and a couple of customers came out to ooh and aah at her. I now feel a lot better about pulling the trigger, and I can't wait to get back in the seat!:D

#21 ·
104 degrees yesterday.
Drove her WDTDNAC to the Dentist office for a 10am appt, then to Wallyworld for some pool chemicals, then home. Left at 4:45 for a 6pm tee time in Norwalk, then over to Gerkebis for some refreshment afterward (he lives 5 miles from the golf course we were at). I did put the top up at the course since it looked like it may rain, but it didn't. Got home about Midnight. I REALLY need to fix my dash lights...

#22 ·
Drove my SLC to the paintshop today. Took out my campchair, sat down and watched them sand down the new paint, and then polish the entire car. What a treat. It never ever gets old watching peoples reaction to the SLC as you drive around.

#23 ·
Welcome Bignate01 and congrats on your purchase !! Im sure you´ll have a great time cruising in your SL as much as the other members here (who have theirs in running condition :D ).

Please fill in your profile to help us help you.

Cheers.

#30 ·
About 1am this morning I got a call from my work answering service concerning a problem. When I wasn't able to contact anyone in the immediate area, I decided it would be up to me to check it out.

It's been too damn hot for top down driving since... well, a long time.

78f, clear starry skies and music blaring a little louder than SWMBO would allow made it a good cruise. No problems when I finally got there made it a great one. :thumbsup:

#31 ·
My 560 has been sitting unused in the shed for about a month awaiting its new canvas, progress stalled by my lame hand.
Lovely sunny cool day here today so I tidied things up, packed the empty top frame away and ran some errands around town.
I enjoyed it so much I treated the old girl to a thank-you wash.