Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Rear seat belts

7K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Judy 
#1 ·
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone knows a company that sells 3 point safety belts for the r107 rear seats? Also what is the best point to mount them without destroying the overall look of the back seats and the car.

Thanks

#5 · (Edited)
Nanny doesn't know what she wants the great unwashed to do? :)

Check this:
Road Safety : Seatbelts & child restraints

Note the ample use of the term "if such a seat is available" - you are digging a hole for yourself here.

The web site is pretty clear - you legally don't even need any seat belt in the back - certainly not a 3-pointer. You local highway Gestapo will probably go away quicker if you have lap belts fitted. Sense of reason and authority rarely go together. :(

I found another link which mentioned your new rules:

"New laws came into effect on 1 October 2010 that introduced new rules for the restraint of children and adults. These amendments follow those made at the national level under the Australian Road Rules."

This explicitly states that "There is no requirement for older vehicles that are not fitted with seat belts to have them fitted."

Looks like your mechanics are feigning ignorance just to have you shell out the bucks for the most expensive solution - or perhaps they can't read? Either case, find a better mechanic. :)

Thomas

PS
I have a kinder seat added to my 450SL - I have yet to install any seat belts there. I also doubt they would do much good since there is no head/neck protection in the rear seat area - a 3-pointer wouldn't be able to get up high enough to do much good.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.