Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

How to get the numbers out of the odometer...

1K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  lfedje 
#1 ·
On my '76 450SL, the odometer stopped working due to that pot metal gear at the end slipping on the shaft with the numbered dials. I have taken the dash out, pulled the speedometer and angle drive, but can't get the little gears that spin the numbers off. Is there some sort of magic trick involved with this? I've tried needle nose pliers on the housing and the end of the shaft, but I fear if I push too hard it will bend/break that shaft and then I'll be really up a creek.

Any help on this would be much appreciated.

#4 ·
Thanks for the link, definitely wish I had a digital odometer because I can't seem to find a DIY for the mechanical for the life of me. Here is a picture of the shaft I'm trying to get out:

Random Car Parts :: 450slodometer.jpg picture by amphiduck - Photobucket

It looks like both ends are factory pressed to where either side will not pull through. Is there any other way (other than pulling the face off, I've read that it is difficult to recalibrate the needle for the speedo) of getting the numbers off?

#7 ·
#9 ·
Translation:

You should be able to work with the document (in German) with this translation - just follow the text along with the photos.

I recommend now only break even because of the odometer reset the trip meter mechanism is more complex and sensitive. To this end, the drive shaft is achieved with the brass gear and pulled out. The 6-digit gears can now be cleaned with soap and water for the trip meter, it works best with cotton buds.

When assembling, make sure that the small gear that drives the trip and which on its own small screw in the casing, into the teeth of the counter attacks and grab the gray gears on the shaft of the odometer as well.

The numbers must be placed so that the original mileage back in a line is visible, and all at the same level. Performing the shaft requires a bit of tact as to be pushed simultaneously with adding a digit wheel and the respective gray gear in place has.

The assembly of the remaining parts in reverse order.

The spring mechanism of the return for the trip meter is best used by placing the plate through the small hole from above. When replacing the return spring on the pointer axle, make sure that this is not under tension. After installation of the dial, the pointer is placed so that in position 20 km / h and is sitting at the holding pen rests. It is advisable to paint the pointer before the installation and let it dry (shade of orange Revell Revell Lufthansa RAL 2004 or RAL 1028 yellow depending on the desired appearance the sound in my opinion is the Orange in detail). The silver trim cap can with a little (!) Super glue will fix the pointer.

The screw of the drive shafts can be possibly be provided with Vaseline. Who is on originality, may be used at the appropriate screws or like-colored varnish.

However, I can recommend the procedure only if the odometer is dirty or infected start, because it is the speedometer is a precise mechanical component.

The report is based only on my own subjective experience and is therefore excluded any liability.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.