Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Boot Cover Insert Replacement?

834 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  1972SL350 
#1 ·
So when we got the car painted, I replaced the boot cover with another one I found since the original was all rusted up. The replacement part was great other than the leather insert was badly faded. The leather on the original was still good though.

During removal however, the plastic on the original leather piece (the one we need to use) got all cracked up and some of the plastic studs were broken off.

Is there any place for me to buy the plastic pieces or a complete new insert with the plastic pieces? I've looked online and in the catalogs I have but can't find anything other than the metal boot cover itself (without the instert).

#6 ·
Are you referring to the soft-top case cover? If so, the upholstery on it is actually MB-Tex, not leather.

On our car, this MB-Tex piece (see arrow) that looks like leather has plastic pieces on the underside. The ones on ours were cracked and the plastic locators/studs were broken when it was removed for paint.

#7 ·
they must have changed things over the years, i removed the one from the parts 72 in the garage, and found no plastic clips.

i did find a long metal(3/4"ish) piece running the outside edge and holding the MB-tex in place. this metal piece has i believe 12 mounting tabs visible from the inside if you have that boot open.

got to looking at the pic you provided, and it seems your MB tex section sits higher than this one on the ends, noticable by the chrome piece on the end, ours is flat.

sorry i couldnt help ya with what you needed, worth a try tho.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.