Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Tool for dash speaker cover / grill installation

5K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  88560slred 
#1 ·
Is this the special tool that the Mercedes Benz dealer uses?

I don't know if anyone else has suggested this "trick" before, but a flimsy credit card sure made this task easy.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
That job is a shocking one..I found it hard to get the covers back on 'flush', especially in alignment with the glove box door edge whereits more obvious.

Does the c card assist the clip in sliding behind the bar?...and did you slide the clip upwards or downwards behind the cross bar?

Cheers
Steve

#3 ·
Strange......I had no problem sliding upwards to engage the crosspiece. Had occasion to do it 3 times because of other stupid mistakes in sequence of assembly of dash. Maybe the spring clips are bent somehow? Mine have 2 tiny screws at the bottom the covers. Maybe a mechanic got sick of trying to keep mine squarely in place. You can't see them from above.

#5 · (Edited)
My problem was getting the spring clips to go behind the bar. Of course you can bend the spring clips out to make it easier to get them behind the bar, but that will probably result in a loose install at the top. The screws at the bottom will keep the bottom tight.

I did not post the picture of the credit card sitting in the space between the spring clips and the speaker grill because it has me credit card number visible. I figure that would be dumb to post my CC number on the internet. But if you think about it, there's only one way the card could sit in the slot between the springs clips and the grill. (BTW, the clips point up.)

So as I slid the speaker cover up, it pulled the spring clips out and behind the bar where they belong. Then I pulled my card from the top, and put the screws in the bottom.

It didn't exactly feel like a stroke of genius, but I was pleased to see how a cc is wide enough to get both clips, and narrow enough to fit through the bar. I remembered reading about others having trouble with this same task. I searched, but couldn't find anyone posting this "trick".

It makes the install a single attempt task. Maybe saving anyone who does it about a whole minute of fussing. :)

EDIT: edited picture and uploaded.

Attachments

#11 ·
Old thread, but pure genius. My clips were about an inch off going behind that clip. The only way it was going to work was to bend them - but then i knew the top would flop out. Left the cover on the floor and came in to do a search. Bingo, found this thread and 5 minutes later the cover was back on, tight as new. Thanks!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.