Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

73 450SLC rear electric windows

4K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  isthisdave 
#1 ·
I'm helping a friend with his 73 and the rear windows do not work. Both front windoes work fine so it's not the fuse. There is absolutely no sound when pressing either back window switches so I assume no power. How do I remove the panel that houses these switches and any trouble shooting suggestions would be appreciated

#3 ·
Ha, I was hoping no one would remember. The answer is no. As I said it's my neighbors car so I'm at his mercy when to work on it. He had some other thinks come up and put the car away. Now he is all gung ho which means he wants me to do the research and heavy lifting.

I can't remember if you or anyone else posted a reply. If you did I apologize for not acting on it.

#4 ·
The rear windows get out of adjustment and bind up after a while. Do this...

Remove the rear bench and seat back. Remove the side panels. Check for power at the motor. The windows probably need adjustment. There's a slider in a track that almost always breaks. Order appropriate 'slide' parts from the classic center.

Search this site for more info...

#12 ·
LOL. Probably the best advice.

I did press the center button but no go which makes me think maybe that switch could be bad and causing the problem. I am assuming it's a disable switch / child proof switch. If so and it's bad it could be causing the problem. I'll pull the console in the next few days and report back.

As always I really appreciate you guys.

#13 ·
The console is not too difficult to pull. Just remove the ashtray, and remove the two screws behid it. This will let you pull out the ashtray bracket. You need to pull it out right side first, to clear the power plug for the lighter. When that is removed, there are two screws at the front end of the console cover below that. When those are removed, you can lift the console front up an inch, and slide it back about 3/4 inch. This will let you get to the bottom of the console where the switches are.

You might want to put the parking brake on, and move the shift lever into neutral before you start, It gives you more room to work around the ashtray.

Scott

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.