Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Adventures in wheel polishing

3K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  Jeff in OKC 
#1 ·
Hello all! I finally got to polishing up my wheels today (w208 wheels to be put on my r107 w/ spacers).
Documented it if anybody else wants to give it a try.

1st, supplies:
Aircraft remover
Small metal bucket to pour it into.
Chemical resistant brush to apply it (I just used a toothbrush however and that worked fine).
Plastic scraper

Sandpaper:
180 Grit Sandpaper
220 Grit Sandpaper
400 Grit Sandpaper
600 Grit Sandpaper (Start wet sanding here)
800 Grit Sandpaper
1000 Grit Sandpaper
1500 Grit Sandpaper
2000 Grit Sandpaper

Safety
Protective Masks
Nitrile Gloves
Safety goggles
Long sleeve shirt and pants (because even a speck of aircraft remover landing on the skin burns and itches!!!! :mad:)

Polishing
Mothers Mag & Aluminum Polish
Mothers Power Cone and Power drill
Microfiber towels

FInishing up
Wheel wax for protection
==========================================

1. Start by removing the clear coat from the rim by applying Aircraft Remover. Protect yourself from this stuff, it stinks and will irritate your skin if you aren't careful.
-Pour aircraft remover into a metal bucket and use a brush to apply it.
*Top Tip: Apply aircraft removal liberally! The more you use the easier the clear coat falls off so really glob it on good!**
-Let it sit for 10 minutes and you will start to see the clear coat start to curl up off the rim.
-Grab your plastic scraper and scrape off the excess clear coat. If you are having a hard time scraping the clear coat, you didn't use enough aircraft remover.
-Rinse and dry the wheel afterwards

Clear coat off. (well most of it, heh :p)

=======================================
2. Next step is sanding it. You can use an electric sander or do it manually. My electric sander couldn't get into the crevices so I stuck with manual sanding.

Start with 180 grit and eventually work your way up to 2000 grit.
Your rim will look hazy and cloudy throughout the sanding process so don't freak out!
*Be sure to rinse the rim after each level of grit*
Sequence:
600 (wet sand)
800 (wet sand)
1000 (wet sand)
1500 (wet sand)
2000 (wet sand)
(sorry, no pics of the sanding process.. it is boring and tedious so I just wanted to get it over with)
====================================

3. Time to polish.
Apply Mothers Mag & Aluminum polish to wheel
Attach Mothers Power cone to your power drill and polish until the paste turns black. Buff it off with a microfiber towel.
I did this process about 3 times to really get it to shine.

======================================

4. Protect all that hard work you just did and wax the wheels!

RESULTS!!!!!! :thumbsup:

:thumbsup:

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Very nice.

I lifted one wheel of the nobmobile of the ground, used a jack stand and chocked both front wheels on both sides.
I removed the Bundt and installed a Penta.

I started the SL and put it in first gear.

I used 100 grit sandpaper to start.
Then 180 grit.
Then red scotchbrite.

I then shifted into second gear and used micromesh sand paper with water.

Starting with 800 grit all the way to 8000 grit.......7 different grit graduations.

I then shifted into third gear and applied aluminum polish with a piece of white scothbrite.

Over and over..............finishing with a cotton rag.

I then applied 3M scratch remover/polish with a cotton rag.

Final step was NeverDull.

To finish, I soaked a cotton rag with laquer thinner and cleaned up.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r-c107-sl-slc-class/1518405-pentas-nobmobile.html

Attachments

#5 · (Edited)
Sorry......that was NOT my intention.

Between you, me and a few others....we should pool our knowledge and have a SUPER rim refurb thread.

Would you like to make it this thread?

I can edit my original post with more details.

#10 ·
I was thinking about doing that, but it is a little dangerous, I don't want to get a hand/finger caught in a Bundt.

A friend of mine from Iraq would turn brake rotors and drums with this method...

I really like those W208 wheels, they are basically modern Bundts. I've seen them on 107's and they look great.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.