Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Sloppy Transmission Selection

968 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Alkraut 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,

Have a transmission question for you. Lately the SL's gear selector has been somewhat sloppy with the selection of D R and P. For instance, When going from D into R, Sometimes you have to push the selctor past R and back again to get it to engage. Also, are really having to throw it up into P to get the car to stay still and not roll as if it was in neutral. Have to dbl check every time you get out.

The only thing we've done recently is change the selector knob to wood one. Hopefully we didn't mess it up somehow. Needs to go in for new gaskets ont he trans anyways so will have it looked at but want to go armed with some info for you experts.

Any help is apprciated.

Thanks!

#7 ·
I replaced my shifter bushings a year or so ago. It's an under-the-car job for sure, and I had the car up on jack stands. I removed the shift arm at the transmission and replaced the nylon bushing at the bench. Care is needed to align the "back up" light switch that is behind it when putting it back. The bushing at the shifter is up there and is best replaced using a special plier type tool made for that purpose. I was able to buy both the bushings and the tool from online sources. I sold the tool when I was finished to another MB enthusiast. Unless you enjoy doing the work (under car -ugh!) take it to an indy mechanic who works on these cars. They have probably replaced plenty.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.